Rust in engine bay

Shiz1

Hi Guys,

Topping up the fluids I've noticed some rust areas in the engine bay. Recent MOT nothing mentioned. Would this be covered under the Audi rust warranty? Would it be something I should get sorted asap? Car is 2013 Audi A4 2.0 TDI Black edition. The rust is on both Drivers and passenger side. Thanks

IMG_1442.HEIC IMG_1443.HEIC IMG_1444.HEIC

The bodyshop manager seems to be “Busy” at Audi and not bothered to call back. I’ve attached some more pictures before. Thanks

5F3B14DE-CDF5-49FE-B4E5-D1ED0E6E55A5.png

7D766DF8-05D9-4E62-9AC7-EC21DA9D9563.png

5667FECD-96C1-4B1E-A18D-A4B2F1407293.png

C69A5A1A-D37C-47F4-8D8F-4ABD0A5501D8.png

• 2 months later...

Just an update guys. Took the car into Audi bodyshop. They took photos and measured the paint. Paint was all original. They said they would get back to me, finally after many months Audi UK got back to me today with this:

“I have spoken with the Bodyshop Manager, who explained that the rusts found on the vehicle, including under the bonnet, aren’t perforated, therefore repair works aren’t warrantable. If the rust was due to perforation, then this would be covered under the warranty.”

looks like a dead end 🤷🏻‍♂️

Hello Mohammed,

Would I be right in believing the rust is only associated with pressed holes in the inner wing? 
If so, rust perforation ( holes) would not really apply in this case - as it would do with a smooth body panel. 
You could try asking them if they consider the rust surrounding the holes is typical of what one could expect with this model, and see what reply you get to that. 
My feeling is that if this rust is left untreated (as it has been for some time) then it will ‘perforate’ the metal surrounding the hole, so if this were mine, I would be wanting to do the best I can to reduce that risk.

I think you have to be realistic and understand that this is a nine year old car now, and such things are going to need attending to if you want it to last.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

13 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Hello Mohammed,

Would I be right in believing the rust is only associated with pressed holes in the inner wing? 
If so, rust perforation ( holes) would not really apply in this case - as it would do with a smooth body panel. 
You could try asking them if they consider the rust surrounding the holes is typical of what one could expect with this model, and see what reply you get to that. 
My feeling is that if this rust is left untreated (as it has been for some time) then it will ‘perforate’ the metal surrounding the hole, so if this were mine, I would be wanting to do the best I can to reduce that risk.

I think you have to be realistic and understand that this is a nine year old car now, and such things are going to need attending to if you want it to last.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth,

certainly is within the pressed holes. I will ask that question and see what they reply back. 

I would agree to try and tackle to prolong this area, however, looking online no other mention of a Audi A4 B8.5 having rust in these pressed holes.

Both front fenders have also started rusting in the common place but they said that was due to stone chips etc.

Thank you

Hi Mohammed,

Thanks for the update.

OK—seems you are on your own with this as far as Audi are concerned, so you need to work out a fix. If this was my car, I'd put a wire brush on my Dremel or drill, and expose all the metal around the rust spots under the bonnet. This should give you a good look at any underlying problem.

Assuming you get down to good metal, with no holes or dents from below, I'd get a rattle can of primer, and another of your car's colour, and just respray the area (which needn't be more than a couple of inches (5cm) in diameter).

If you find that the rust has formed from a dent from below, you're going to have to do some further investigating…

12 hours ago, gsmdo said:

Hi Mohammed,

Thanks for the update.

OK—seems you are on your own with this as far as Audi are concerned, so you need to work out a fix. If this was my car, I'd put a wire brush on my Dremel or drill, and expose all the metal around the rust spots under the bonnet. This should give you a good look at any underlying problem.

Assuming you get down to good metal, with no holes or dents from below, I'd get a rattle can of primer, and another of your car's colour, and just respray the area (which needn't be more than a couple of inches (5cm) in diameter).

If you find that the rust has formed from a dent from below, you're going to have to do some further investigating…

Hi, 

I wish I was that competent! I’m going to get a few quotes from body shops local. It’s actually put me off from Audi. I just find that as a brand they have changed.

10 years ago you was welcomed like a guest of honour when you visited the showroom and now it’s like drug dealer central when you go in! 

Has anyone used Dinitrol or Jenolite rust remover? 

Hello Mohammed, 

‘I wish I was that competent!’. All the bodyshop workers who you are going to approach will have started from a platform of zero competence. They will only have become more competent via. a wish to do so. 
Your rust issue really is simple to work with, and would be a great starting point to develop enthusiasm in this aspect of DIY. In terms of actually eradicating the effects of the rust, then you are more likely be successful than they are, since your time doesn’t cost money, and they have to work within the time constraints of the quote. You will just take your time in an attempt to be thorough. 
Anyway Mohammed, the questions you ask are irrelevant if you don’t have any intention of spending some time with this. If you really did, then time could be spent on going through the detail of the procedure with you, but I’m sure you will understand that I wouldn’t want to spend time unnecessarily. 
What I certainly would do if it were mine, would be to mix some car shampoo in a jar, and clean up the paintwork areas around your rust spots - doesn’t look as if it’s seen any attention since it came out of the showroom - if you don’t mind me saying. This would assist your chosen bodyshop in assessing the full extent of the issue. 
Perhaps you could let us know as things proceed. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.