Rear crankshaft oil seal.

Stevey Y

Hi gents as the milage rolls up so do the problems, they had the gearbox out today to find out what the oil leak was about and it turns out the rear crank seal is giving up the ghost spraying engine oil all over the bell housing, while we were there they also noticed that the new radial shaft seal fitted to the slave cylinder was weeping gear oil all over the clutch assembly none of which is covered by the TPS warranty because the crank seal which was dry at the time wasn't replaced with the clutch, they wanted over £155.00 for the crank seal which I got from a local motor factors [Elring O.E.] for £55.00 and because my guy cancelled the TPS order they have told him they won't sell him anymore parts which considering they have already had about £650.00 out of me for the other bits new driven/ pressure plate and slave cylinder with associated seals is a bit rich, still wait till they clock on to the fact they are not getting his £20,000 a year for all their overpriced parts will soon bring the area manager down on a flying visit, but I honestly think this time the second word will be OFF as the local main dealer has already offered some very attractive prices.

Steve.

IMG_20220802_161036_1_resized_20220802_041109047.jpg

Hello Steve,

Sorry to hear of your problem, and about TPS’ reaction. It could just be me, but it seems they may be heading for choppy waters, since it seems they won’t even talk with you if you aren’t an account holder. I now have a couple of main dealer contacts who will offer discounts and do mail order, so for me, TPS or no TPS - it really doesn’t matter at all. But as you say, when branch sales figures start to go the wrong way, they might just realise that it can be a difficult road to go back along. 
One thing will never change - the buyer will always retain their right to vote with their feet. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steve Q said:

Shocking the way these parts suppliers act it really is! 

Hi it gets better, I have just forked out another £100 for the special tool to mount the new seal as the crank sensor ring which is the toothed bit has to sit at a precise position with the engine timing at TDC, it also has to sit at a precise level on the seal otherwise you will never get the car to start again and another bonus is if you ever want to take the crank sensor pick up out without removing the gearbox you have to remove the oil cooler assembly to get at it, I think our Teutonic friends have lost the plot with the quality issues, the latest being  couple of my colleagues have bought new E220 Mercedes and were advised by the dealerships that the cam chain assemblies are suspect so anything after 40k would be a good time to get the upgraded chain kit fitted, after all the kit is only £1500+ labour and is guaranteed to do 250k, am I/we missing the point here, why not fit them to the engine when new, a couple of the boys I know in London have had the same issues with BMWs, at this rate next cab will be a Ford.

Steve.

14 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Hello Steve,

Sorry to hear of your problem, and about TPS’ reaction. It could just be me, but it seems they may be heading for choppy waters, since it seems they won’t even talk with you if you aren’t an account holder. I now have a couple of main dealer contacts who will offer discounts and do mail order, so for me, TPS or no TPS - it really doesn’t matter at all. But as you say, when branch sales figures start to go the wrong way, they might just realise that it can be a difficult road to go back along. 
One thing will never change - the buyer will always retain their right to vote with their feet. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth, in a previous life I was a printer and one of the things I printed back in the eighties was an article which was a transcript of an interview with Anita Roddick AKA the founder of Body Shop, when asked why she had been so successful she replied her sales philosophy was, FIND OUT WHAT YOUR CUSTOMERS WANT AND GIVE IT TO THEM, these clowns just don't get it so they will continue to loose business unlike a Ford main dealers I used called Rates of Grays, because of the regularity of my parts purchase from them they would give me trade on most purchases and subject to a conversation with a Ford CEO I had in the car he admitted that although he was from the states he had heard of Rates as they had the highest turnover of parts in our area.

Steve.

Many thanks Steve, 

It really is ‘good’ isn’t it. Timing chains:- a family member has a JLR Ingenium diesel and has just paid out in excess of £2K to have the 2019 uprated chain fitted to the 2016 49K mile vehicle. It was starting to rattle on start up, despite annual oil changes rather than ‘Longlife servicing. All you can say is ‘cheaper than a new engine if the chain lets loose! 
Steve Q. - do I recall your good lady has a Jaguar XE. Diesel and pre 2019? Let’s hope not, but if so, I can give you the full SP if you want. 
Steve Q - Good to hear your experience of Rates Ford. This certainly echos my experience with buying parts from them for Ford owning family members - always a great mail order discounted service via. eBay purchases. Am I right in thinking Rates places the orders on the Ford warehouse, and the parts are dispatched from there? 
Audi parts at discount. I now have two sources ( which I’ve mentioned on here a few times). So do I need TPS (if they would deal with me)? No, I don’t. 
I have also fostered good relations with a JLR dealer, who again gives a nice little discount and normally delivers free of charge, the following day. The service is both efficient and very friendly. 
Apologies for rambling on, but I’ve also used Car Parts in Motion for ‘quality’ aftermarket parts at best prices. I think you’ve mentioned them before Steve Y, and I think you’ve also benefited from their good services. 
Perhaps some of this may be of benefit to others.

I don’t have any connection with any of the companies mentioned - apart from experiencing good service from them. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

Hello Steve,

Another school of thought would be that they now get a hammering with the stop/ start systems. Any chain or belt is under maximum stress on start up. Originally the vehicle was started once at the start of its journey. Now, it be restarting half a dozen times on a 2 mile run to Tesco!  It’s an engineering disaster waiting to happen. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

Hi latest update, the super seal tool has broken despite the sellers claims and now waiting for the genuine VAG tool which is twice the price, the moral of this story is DONT BUY THE CHEAP TOOL.

Steve.

2 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi latest update, the super seal tool has broken despite the sellers claims and now waiting for the genuine VAG tool which is twice the price, the moral of this story is DONT BUY THE CHEAP TOOL.

Steve.

Hi despite coming from Birmingham it appears the tool was made in Wayne King which is a rather large area in China.

Steve.