Audi A3 2.0 TDI - 180k miles

Simonc1188

Hi guys - I’m new to the forum so hopefully this fits in with the rules.

Im looking at a 2013 Audi A3 TDi (pan roof) with 180k motorway miles. Full dealership service history. I’ve checked the MOT history which has only ever flagged tyre problems. Cam belt / water pump changed at 107k. The guy wants £6500

What do you think? What are my main concerns (I know mileage is huge). Is the engine going to blow up?

Hello Simon,

Thanks for joining the forum and posting your plea. 
‘Full service history’. Have you obtained a copy of the print out of how many services the car has had, and what work and repairs it has had during its 9 year life? Has it been in the same ownership from new? If not - very important- how long has the last owner owned it? 
Cambelt and water pump renewed at 107K miles, and now on 180K. On an average of 20k/ annum, that work could have been carried out around 4 years ago, and based on the normal recommendation of change every 5 years (irrespective of mileage) it could be due again within the next year. Cost? 
If the MOT history references tyres ( near limit?) then its only fair to question how well the car has been cared for, if the owners are not fussy on ensuring the car has a good set of tyres at MOT time. 
Just some thoughts to ponder on. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback Gareth, much appreciated. The car has car lease plates on so I’m assuming it’s been a company car - explains the mileage and lack of consideration for tyres. I’ve just asked for all of these details - you probably know better than I, is there a high risk of engine/gear box fault at this mileage? I would’ve thought a 2l diesel with motorway driving could go on for another 100k. But I’m no expert.

Edited by Simonc1188

Hello Simon,

Many thanks for coming back on this, with some useful additional information. 
Not wishing to be critical, but your assumptions are simply that, until you prove it to be fact, and the pre-purchase time is the time to do all your homework - not once you’ve got it. 
Assumption:- It’s been a company car - explaining the mileage. It may well have initially been, hence high mileage - but it’s a simple assumption. High mileage = motorway driving - again an assumption. Steve Y on here, does similar mileages in his taxis. 
Companies seldom (never?) retain cars for 9 years, so where has it been since it’s assumed company ownership? If they have indeed retained it that long, then it might ( just might) have spent its latter years with them as a pool car - with a high number of careful/careless drivers. 
Have you carried out a DVLA Vehicle check on the car? This will tell you when the last V5 was issued - which tells you/ gives a clue into how long the last owner has owned it. 
Assumption- Full service history (is the be all and end all). It’s good, but the level of workmanship cannot be guaranteed - it should be, but sometimes isn’t. Positive - it’s a really good starting point. 
Engine -…’ is there a high risk of engine failure…?’ Apologies, but you seem to be hanging your hat-of-concern on this. Yes you are right that after 180k motorway (assumption) miles that the engine will still be fine, and you are probably right, but there are many other expensive components which can wear out and be costly to replace. Manual or automatic for example? Manual - clutch? Auto - gearbox oil services? 
All of the above is intended to reign you in from a dose  of enthusiasm, and allow yourself to carryout all the checks you can before committing. 
Having said all that, I’ve had a couple of high mileage cars over too many decades to mention, and quite a few worn out low mileage - back and fore to Tesco cars. 
Good luck with the homework.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 
p.s. The main dealer ( from whom your full service history print out will be obtained ) oowill probably be able to tell you from the service history when ownership changed. 

• Like 2

Hello Simon,

Just an afterthought:-

A nine year old ‘company car’.
If (in caps) this car has been retained by a one owner then is there a possibility that it is an ex taxi? Is/was the age limit for taxis set at 10 years?

Probably not an ex taxi, but….

Steve Y is your expert on age limit, and whether the seller has to declare if it has been used as a taxi. 

You will need to eliminate that possibility . 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

12 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello Simon,

Just an afterthought:-

A nine year old ‘company car’.
If (in caps) this car has been retained by a one owner then is there a possibility that it is an ex taxi? Is/was the age limit for taxis set at 10 years?

Probably not an ex taxi, but….

Steve Y is your expert on age limit, and whether the seller has to declare if it has been used as a taxi. 

You will need to eliminate that possibility . 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth, you made me smile, some councils have no age limit on cabs but most its eight years, I can't think of any council that would licence an A3 as I don't believe the rear seat width would make the minimum requirement, the other give away would be the interior as that always gets hammered shredded carpets, holes in the plastic trim where data heads and coms have been fitted, holes around the rear bumper where the plate has been fixed, its easy enough to check through an insurance data base if its ever been insured for hire and reward, I suspect it probably was an ex fleet car but the price is very rich considering the amount of future parts you may have to buy because unless its had new suspension etc in the last nine years its not a cheap car, better to put another four grand to the money and get something with lower miles and longer legs.

• Like 1

Thanks to the both of you. After some deliberation I’ve decided against it. V5 switched over in Feb 2022, seller also failed to supply a copy of the full service history book after claiming ‘full Audi dealer service history’. After running a check, the car wasn’t serviced with any Audi approved dealer for the first 79k miles. 

Reluctantly I agree that spending the extra 4/5k is the right thing to do - back to the daily procrastination of looking at Audi’s I want and  can’t afford just yet.

Thanks again guys - enormous help, this forum has definitely exceeded my expectations.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Simonc1188 said:

Thanks to the both of you. After some deliberation I’ve decided against it. V5 switched over in Feb 2022, seller also failed to supply a copy of the full service history book after claiming ‘full Audi dealer service history’. After running a check, the car wasn’t serviced with any Audi approved dealer for the first 79k miles. 

Reluctantly I agree that spending the extra 4/5k is the right thing to do - back to the daily procrastination of looking at Audi’s I want and  can’t afford just yet.

Thanks again guys - enormous help, this forum has definitely exceeded my expectations.

Hi Simon wise decision and to be honest the full Audi service history is really not worth the paper its printed on as I have two Audis to look after, my A6 and my daughters Q3 BOTH HAD FULL HISTORY which didn't bear close scrutiny as in both cases they were both serviced before we bought them, I set about servicing both shortly after buying them and my daughters was the worst, they hadn't changed the air filter since the car was made 62,000 miles later it got changed, I was going to use the piece of paper the service history was printed on in our loo but the wife won't let me.

If you ever see another you want to go for get an AA inspection not cheap but they look at everything and pick holes in anything they don't like the look of.

Steve.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Stevey Y said:

to be honest the full Audi service history is really not worth the paper its printed on

I don't agree with the service intervals that Audi recommend, 11,000 miles between oil changes, should just about get you out of the warranty period.

I wouldn't mind an A8 around the 2009 / 11 period but the mileage is getting a little high at that age.

If I traded my 2009 A6 C6 Avant in for one, I would never get what it's worth to me.

It's a genuine 42,000 miles from new and the longest it's ever gone between oil changes is 4,000 once, usually around the 2,000 mile mark, oil is cheap enough to change it yearly.

Always garaged out of the sun and rain.

I purchased it from Stafford Audi.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RoyC said:

I don't agree with the service intervals that Audi recommend, 11,000 miles between oil changes, should just about get you out of the warranty period.

I wouldn't mind an A8 around the 2009 / 11 period but the mileage is getting a little high at that age.

If I traded my 2009 A6 C6 Avant in for one, I would never get what it's worth to me.

It's a genuine 42,000 miles from new and the longest it's ever gone between oil changes is 4,000 once, usually around the 2,000 mile mark, oil is cheap enough to change it yearly.

Always garaged out of the sun and rain.

Hi well done Roy I knew a guy once that got 500,000 out of a MK2 Transit luton he used for work just by changing the oil and filters every month, the only reason he got rid was the rot on the cab was absolutely epic.

Steve.

• Sad 1