Treat rust on small stone chip

K3v

Hi, I've got a small chip on the leading edge of the roof above the windscreen, it's a mm or so but it's gone rusty. 

How best to sort the rust before painting? Should I be using a rust eater or stabiliser on it first?  If so what do people recommend? 

Hello Kev,

Dealing with such small and conspicuous areas is alway difficult, since to do the job properly, you will need to considerably enlarge the area to ensure you are back to non-rusting metal. 
I wouldn’t suggest you do that in this case, since the repair is likely to stand out. 
Yes, you will most certainly need to treat the rust, and you will find an array of products available. I have used Vatcan to reasonable avail, but there are many more. 
How rusty is this stone chip? Has it been left untreated for some time to allow it to get to its current state? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

If metalic paint, I was given a good tip once.

If you put the base coat on and then the clear lacquer you end up with the touch up area standing proud of the rest of the bodywork and can't flatten it down.

But if you mix the base coat and clear lacquer togeather it can be wet sanded so you cant notice it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RoyC said:

If metalic paint, I was given a good tip once.

If you put the base coat on and then the clear lacquer you end up with the touch up area standing proud of the rest of the bodywork and can't flatten it down.

But if you mix the base coat and clear lacquer togeather it can be wet sanded so you cant notice it.

Hi Roy for someone who claimed to be useless you have turned out positively sparkling, well done the old tricks are the Best.

Steve.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Stevey Y said:

well done the old tricks are the Best.

HAHA.

Yes Steve, great on the old trick, not so good with the new tricks.

You would know what I mean if you saw me trying to use a mobile phone

Useless with new technology.

6 hours ago, RoyC said:

HAHA.

Yes Steve, great on the old trick, not so good with the new tricks.

You would know what I mean if you saw me triing to use a mobile phone

Useless with new technology.

Hi Roy makes me wonder what all these youngsters are going to do when all us oldies are gone along with the experience, as far as mobile phones go I can do what I need to do on them but I don't care if I never become a fully fledged member of the phone wizards, like you my head is too full of practical useful stuff.

Steve.

• Haha 1

Thanks for the replies chaps. 

The car is a 2015 a6 in florett silver. Not sure how long it's been there but I guess a while. I'll get some rust treatment stuff and keep ane eye on it. 

Thanks for the tip on the clear coat 👍👍

• 7 months later...