ABS, ESP, Parking Brake failure and Headlight Range

Ian Newman

Hi All,

Been a member for a while but this is my first post. A6 2.0 TDI 2010 Le Man's.

Just had ABS and ESP lights come on dash with complimentary headlight range and none functioning parking brake warnings too.

Recently washed car and on moving it, found rear brake disc corroded pieces on the drive. Car drives fine but can anybody advise as to why I've now got these warning lights please.

Hello Ian,

It is highly unlikely that the pieces of corrosion you have found are from the brake discs. Almost certain to have come from the brake backing plates - which can corrode quite quickly.

ABS and ESP lights - Washing car?  Bucket and sponge? Unlikely if the washing has dislodged pieces of corroded metal. 
Pressure washer? Sprayed with wheel cleaner first? 
The warnings you have could well be associated with one of the  ABS sensors and/or the hub signalling. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi if you get the car scanned for faults my bet is they are all low voltage faults which would most likely be a battery going out as this type of multi fault situation is normally caused by this as the ECU will shut down various functions that use a lot of power to preserve battery function voltage, if you have to get a new battery it will have to be coded to the BEM module, its worth spending the extra for a good branded battery and my suggestion would be Halfords, all in price for fitting and coding, make sure they code it ! 

Steve. 

7 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello Ian,

It is highly unlikely that the pieces of corrosion you have found are from the brake discs. Almost certain to have come from the brake backing plates - which can corrode quite quickly.

ABS and ESP lights - Washing car?  Bucket and sponge? Unlikely if the washing has dislodged pieces of corroded metal. 
Pressure washer? Sprayed with wheel cleaner first? 
The warnings you have could well be associated with one of the  ABS sensors and/or the hub signalling. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for the info. but the corroded steel was quite thick as per the outer corroded edge of a brake disc, also, I didn't use a pressure washer, just a hose. I'm guessing I'm going to have to get it plugged in for a diagnosis.

Cheers Gareth

Regards

Ian

Thanks Ian,

Sounds odd that a hose would have dislodged corrosion from the outer edge of a cast brake disc, but….. If it were mine, I would certainly be having a look at the pressed steel brake back plates. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

9 hours ago, Magnet said:

Thanks Ian,

Sounds odd that a hose would have dislodged corrosion from the outer edge of a cast brake disc, but….. If it were mine, I would certainly be having a look at the pressed steel brake back plates. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth,

Yep, I'll check first off but still not sure why I've got all this on the dash because of. Currently on holiday, not in the A6 of course, timing was to perfection if you know what I mean

Ian

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

For those who replied to my post a few weeks ago and anybody else who may have similar problems. Unfortunately I never got to speak to the guy who fixed my car but the diagnostic check picked up near side rear issue, this is where I mentioned the corroded deposit came from. ABS sensor replaced on that corner has resolved the issue. Bit of a coincidence I'm thinking but all good now.

• Like 1