Best budget obd tool

Pappa583

Looking to buy a cheapish... obd tool, just to allow me to change the rear pads but looking to get one that will be half decent for reading any codes that may pop up in future?

Anyone bought a decent one for a decent price that's done the job OK? Amazon have a few around £50-60 which seem to do what's needed for pad change and code reading but thought I'd reach out to the forum members before I possibly waste the money on a cheap one.

ANCEL VD500 Pro OBD2 Reader for Volkswagen VW Audi Skoda Seat Vehicle - Car Diagnostic Tool Check Engine Light EPB ABS SRS Fault Code Reader Oil Throttle Position Adaption Service Due Reset Tool https://amzn.eu/d/eouzhlG

3 hours ago, Pappa583 said:

Looking to buy a cheapish... obd tool, just to allow me to change the rear pads but looking to get one that will be half decent for reading any codes that may pop up in future?

Anyone bought a decent one for a decent price that's done the job OK? Amazon have a few around £50-60 which seem to do what's needed for pad change and code reading but thought I'd reach out to the forum members before I possibly waste the money on a cheap one.

ANCEL VD500 Pro OBD2 Reader for Volkswagen VW Audi Skoda Seat Vehicle - Car Diagnostic Tool Check Engine Light EPB ABS SRS Fault Code Reader Oil Throttle Position Adaption Service Due Reset Tool https://amzn.eu/d/eouzhlG

Hi OBD Eleven is about the best tool I have found that is not spiteful on price, retracting your callipers with a 12v battery is not good advice as its possible to spike the control unit and if you do the process with a scan tool make sure you have a battery charger/spare charged battery hooked up as well to counter any voltage fluctuations from your battery.

Steve.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

OBD Eleven is about the best tool I have found that is not spiteful on price

Just had a look on eBay, WOW, a bit pricey.

In my case, as the price goes up, so does the difficulty using them. haha.

4 hours ago, RoyC said:

Just had a look on ebay, WOW, a bit pricey.

In my case, as the price goes up, so does the difficulty using them. haha.

Hi if you think thats pricey have a look at VCDS that will make your eyes water, with this type of software you only get what you pay for, I have in the past bought other scan tools [very cheap] and come royally unstuck when halfway through a job when they loose the connection, case in point I thought the £140 unit I had bought for my Alfa Mito would be fine to re calibrate the power steering, WRONG!, it kept loosing communication in the middle of calibration which left me with an underivable vehicle, borrowed my mates Fiat ECU Multiscan and it flew through, I have just had a shot sharp lesson in buying too cheap which has cost me dear, old formula, if you buy a cheap item which fails to do what you want, you have lost both the item and the money, if you upgrade and the item does exactly what you want it to is all you loose is the extra money.

Steve.

18 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

if you think thats pricey have a look at VCDS that will make your eyes water,

I already have VCDS but am not a fan I'm afraid.

I don't know why I have to update it all the time, that and windows 11 crashing every five mins.

12 minutes ago, RoyC said:

I already have VCDS but am not a fan I'm afraid.

I don't know why I have to update it all the time, that and windows 11 crashing every five mins.

Hi Roy the updates are for newer vehicles there are no more updates for your model therefore if you didn't update it you can still use it, just like manufacturer updates for the cars cease after six years also if you go to windows seven on an old laptop solely for your diagnostics that stops all the crashing, if you have other things on your existing laptop like your emails google etc that affects the diagnostic program.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi if you think thats pricey have a look at VCDS that will make your eyes water, with this type of software you only get what you pay for, I have in the past bought other scan tools [very cheap] and come royally unstuck when halfway through a job when they loose the connection, case in point I thought the £140 unit I had bought for my Alfa Mito would be fine to re calibrate the power steering, WRONG!, it kept loosing communication in the middle of calibration which left me with an underivable vehicle, borrowed my mates Fiat ECU Multiscan and it flew through, I have just had a shot sharp lesson in buying too cheap which has cost me dear, old formula, if you buy a cheap item which fails to do what you want, you have lost both the item and the money, if you upgrade and the item does exactly what you want it to is all you loose is the extra money.

Steve.

Understand, like all things you get what you pay and I'm more than prepared to pay if its needed but have looked at quite a few from a few hundred to a pretty reasonable 50 quid (obvs if it works) but for the average Joe who wants to read the odd error code and change rear brake pads once or twice thinking could be a bit of a waste to pay more than that's needed.... Just wondered if anyone had bought one of the cheaper ones and used with success 🤞 hopefully 😉 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Pappa583 said:

Understand, like all things you get what you pay and I'm more than prepared to pay if its needed but have looked at quite a few from a few hundred to a pretty reasonable 50 quid (obvs if it works) but for the average Joe who wants to read the odd error code and change rear brake pads once or twice thinking could be a bit of a waste to pay more than that's needed.... Just wondered if anyone had bought one of the cheaper ones and used with success 🤞 hopefully 😉 

^ ^ ^  DITO.

Just like you, I want EPB open and close or service reminder . remove.

Not having to go from page to page to do a simple task.

1 hour ago, RoyC said:

I found this, seems to do everything I will ever want to do.

https://www.obdadvisor.com/ancel-vd500-review/

Will pay for itself easy, rather than pay labour rate and need a garage with vag computer to wind piston in for rear pads 👍

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pappa583 said:

Just made offer do see how it goes, will have one one way or other 😎

Let us know how it goes.

28 minutes ago, Pappa583 said:

Seller accepted offer of £40

Thanks for the tip.

I'll make the same offer next week.

Hospital appointments this week would clash with delivery.

13 hours ago, Pappa583 said:

Seller accepted offer of £40 👍.... couple quid off

Don't forget to hook up your charger before doing your brakes.

10 hours ago, RoyC said:

Don't forget to hook up your charger before doing your brakes.

👍 I did remember reading that mate, will be a few weeks yet till I do it as I'm away to work again so hopefully I remember 🤣

• Like 1