RESOLVED - Flashing glow-plug symbol; limp home mode AGAIN...🤦‍♂️

gsmdo

Driving at 70mph this morning, when I get the (all too familiar) sensation of the loss of power, accompanied by the glow-plug light flashing...🤨

It happened about half a mile from home, inbound, so I just stopped when I got there and did a scan with the OBDEleven:

Sure enough - it shows an air leak in the intake, plus a turbo under-boost.  I put it in the garage and will get around to it when the weather is more amenable.

Dammit! 🤨

Edited by gsmdo

We had this problem last week driving to Devon, the power dropped and the ignition light started flashing. It’s been diagnosed as the intake manifold flap sticking, probably the motor has gone. Apparently it’s a common fault. Our turbo has leaked some oil into there too so that’s not helping.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Well, I eventually got around to looking at the car today (having been away on leave in the USA) - and found the problem straight away.

I’d clearly not tightened the jubilee clip holding the hose from the front gallery to the turbo (this was the hose which had the split in it). Popped the hose back on, tightened the jubilee clip 🤦‍♂️ and did a test  drive - good as new 😃

Edited by gsmdo

On 10/1/2022 at 5:35 PM, gsmdo said:

Well, I eventually got around to looking at the car today (having been away on leave in the USA) - and found the problem straight away.

I’d clearly not tightened the jubilee clip holding the hose from the front gallery to the turbo (this was the hose which had the split in it). Popped the hose back on, tightened the jubilee clip 🤦‍♂️ and did a test  drive - good as new 😃

Glad it was an easy fix. An easy thing to miss! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

Glad it was an easy fix. An easy thing to miss! 

Thinking back, I was having trouble getting the other end of the hose to fit into the turbo (the end with the metal collar and spring clip). My buddy Dave came over to help - I was in the house, and he said, "I could see you were having trouble getting the end of the hose into the turbo - I've done it". I didn't take this to mean he'd tightened the clamp on the other end (which I'd not done, as I was sure I was going to need to remove it again to sort out why it didn't fit into the turbo), but we then got busy doing the fuel filter, oil change etc, and it must have slipped my mind.

As you say, an easy fix - and a lesson learned to make sure you've finished all of the work before buttoning it all up.

Took the car out with the hood down to have an alfresco breakfast with my mate Darren this morning - how many more weekends will we have nice enough weather to do so?

IMG_5520.JPG.5619f3a411fce863ad70b2fcf9c19dbd.JPG

Edited by gsmdo