New Audi Owner Question re Stop/Start.

Disgracefully Old

Hello all.

Just picked up my forst Audi, a 2016 TT Roadster TFSI and wondered if anyone would be so kind as to advise if it's possible to do something about the start stop feature.

For example do I have to hit the stitch every time I get in the car and start it to turn off the start stop?  I was kind of hoping that it had one of those "Last setting" things where it remembered the last state, so if I turned it off then it remained off unles I turned it back on again!

Thank you in advance for any help offered.

PS Just in case anyone wondered if I was being lazy. I am waiting for the dealer to replace the owners manual and hand books because they seem to have missplaced the originals from this impecibly well looked after car.

Hello Steve,

I have a non-Audi, and have to remember to switch the stop/start off every time I start the car, and I think I’m in danger of wearing the switch out! 
I think it is possible to do something with this one to ‘cheat’ the secondary battery, but I think that has downsides. 
This stop/start system is not to my liking, and is engineeringly averse, since the maximum stress on an engine is at start up. 
I notice your car is 2016 and is likely to be fitted with a replacement battery - if not, it’s probably overdue for one. The ‘benefit’ of the S/S system is that it is one of the first things to shut down as the battery becomes less serviceable, and does act as a warning to renew the battery! but….
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

On 8/22/2022 at 3:21 PM, Magnet said:

Hello Richard,

Do you then lose the battery condition monitoring function? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth - I honestly don't know. 

I've never tried to permanently disable the function and that might be a good reason not to 😁

On my Q5 I am happy to keep stop/start along with auto hand brake - I have become used to it. 

Many thanks  Richard,

Sorry, thought you had permanently disabled it using OBD eleven. 
Disabling each journey?  Isn’t there an isolator you can press ( or something) that disables it each journey? If so, and it’s not permanently disabled via. OBD eleven, I’m a bit lost, but it’s probably me. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

The car’s built-in Battery Condition Monitor ( BCM) - if fitted. 
If the car is still running on its original battery, then it shouldn’t be too long before it starts not to work anyway. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.

On 8/22/2022 at 2:40 PM, Shytot said:

Have a look at OBD eleven. 

https://obdeleven.com/

Hello Richard.

I have no experiance with this OBD side of things, but do like some of the things you can alter such as the brightness increase on the DRL's etc and a few other cosmetic things that would look better from a personal taste perspective.

However, would say the garage be able to see that this has been done and void the warrenty? Or would it not show up as altered?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/25/2022 at 7:20 AM, Magnet said:

Many thanks  Richard,

Sorry, thought you had permanently disabled it using OBD eleven. 
Disabling each journey?  Isn’t there an isolator you can press ( or something) that disables it each journey? If so, and it’s not permanently disabled via. OBD eleven, I’m a bit lost, but it’s probably me. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth - yes, there is a button to disable it but every time you turn off th eignition it resets to "on".

The OP would like to have it permanently disabled and I think that it can only be achieved with OBD Eleven or  VCDS / Ross Tech 

Hello Richard,

Yes, as I said/ thought - you isolate it on start up, and once you switch off, you have to isolate it again. 
Permanently isolating even via. VCDS etc? Maybe, but I think if it is indeed possible, there may be certain system downsides (BCM associated) which might be adversely affected. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.

On 8/29/2022 at 10:29 AM, Disgracefully Old said:

Hi Disgracefully Old - many of the OBD Eleven settings are just comfort / convenience based.

Some of them such as lane assist / departure warning or that controls the brake, accelerator or steering might be more of a warranty issue.

Stop/Start is more of a fudge in order to improve fuel efficiency (and save the planet!?!) 

It's not an MOT item (I don't think) and worst case your local dealer might reset it and you have to redo it again.

OBD Eleven is the (relatively) idiot proof version of VCDS / Ross Tech with the former you can mainly only change preset coding whereas with the latter, you can change pretty much anything and in the wrong hands that could leave you with serious damage to some of the car's features.

HTH

Thanks for the additional information all.

I'm still thinking about this OBD Eleven stuff, but, If I do go ahead it will only be for the disabling of the start stop which drives me blinking bonkers. And also maybe for the accoustic confirmation for the locking/unlocking. This is a nice feature when you are in the works car park to have a confirmation tone because you can't always hear the door locks themselves. (I know the indicators flash, but when we are rushing around putting stuff in your coat pockets etc when leaving the car you don't always notice.)

Thank you again.

PS How do you know which module to buy? First or Second generation?  Also how do you know how many credits you will need to alter the things I mentioned? (Sorry if these are stupid questions.)

Edited by Disgracefully Old
Terrible spelling