Steering malfunction can’t move my car

Vinny2022

I drove round a junction and up onto the pavement via the dropped curb. I had my steering on full right lock when I went up the dropped curb, and then the car straight away beeped and came up with a message between the two dials “ steering malfunction do not drive vehicle “ then the car has put the handbrake on and cut power to the car. I can’t take the handbrake off but can lock and unlock the car but can’t start as no power to ignition.. as if it’s been immobilised..

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME…

Simple things first Vinny. Eliminate the battery as the culprit. If you know what you are doing ( all in caps) then connect up some jump leads to another vehicle that has a good battery. 
If you are not completely confident and competent at this - DO NOT DO IT. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

3 hours ago, Magnet said:

Simple things first Vinny. Eliminate the battery as the culprit. If you know what you are doing ( all in caps) then connect up some jump leads to another vehicle that has a good battery. 
If you are not completely confident and competent at this - DO NOT DO IT. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi Gareth the battery is fine the car is all up together and I haven’t had no trouble with starting the car before. The car actually shut completely down and applied the handbrake on its own telling me it had a steering malfunction in the clocks. The car ecu killed the power to the car except the doors and central locking .. I know a bit about cars and am aware the fault has came from the electromechanical steering rack but haven’t a clue how to reset it as there’s no power to the car for a diagnostic machine to be implemented. 
I was hoping someone on here had heard of this before and may have some solid procedure that could be done or give me instructions as if I should get hold of an Audi dealership to plug the car in. 
I really am  at a loose end and don’t know what to do….

4 hours ago, Robert H Irvine said:

Definitely check the battery in the boot 

The car is keyless and when I unlock the doors and get in, the power is on briefly but when I push start button  the handbrake light and the message still appears on the dials then the car is immobilised The interior lights : headlights/indicators all work along with the central locking, but won’t allow me to start the car nor take the handbrake off to move it .. have been told I can wake the car up to enable an Eobd system to read the fault code. And reset the system. Ad to enable the use of the car again …

My car had a similar issue,it started with a message saying key not recognised. So replaced the battery in both fobs. The message still came up. Two days later took the car to work however when I returned to the car I had the same issues you are describing, no power to start the car hand brake on etc. The car was in warranty and it took Audi 2 weeks to sort it out. Diagnostics didn’t show up any faults and they eventually replaced the convenience module which they assured me would cure the problem, it didn’t , then replace the 12v battery in the boot and problem solved with no further issue 

hope this helps 

Edited by Robert H Irvine
  • Like 2

On 9/25/2022 at 3:13 PM, Robert H Irvine said:

My car had a similar issue,it started with a message saying key not recognised. So replaced the battery in both fobs. The message still came up. Two days later took the car to work however when I returned to the car I had the same issues you are describing, no power to start the car hand brake on etc. The car was in warranty and it took Audi 2 weeks to sort it out. Diagnostics didn’t show up any faults and they eventually replaced the convenience module which they assured me would cure the problem, it didn’t , then replace the 12v battery in the boot and problem solved with no further issue 

hope this helps 

Hi Rob yes I’ve checked the battery voltage and done a battery reset. My car was fine when I got in it but beeped when I turned a hard right(full lock over and up a dropped curb onto the pavement some had said I might have jolted the steering rack angle sensor, and has put the car in safe mode.

does anyone know how I can wake the car up so I can put an Eobd fault code reader in to it so that it works?? My car is the keyless model with push button start. 
I’ve managed to get my car to a safe place just need to delete this fault code can anyone help or give me a number who would k ow about this problem… 

Hello Vinny,

Sorry your are not getting the replies you require. Back to your battery - when you say you have checked the battery voltage - with what equipment, and what was the voltage reading? 
Kind regards,

Gareth.