Coolant issue

AdrianG

Hello guys! 

I'm looking for some advice or to see if anyone experienced this problem (i understood it's way too common).

So I've bought this A3 2.0 TDI back in july. Has full service and the mot was pretty good on it. Anyway, from the first week I've had problems with it losing coolant. I've had the cooling system put under pressure and my mechanic checked for leaks, nothing found. 

After another two weeks, more than 3 top ups and seeing some white marks on the inside of the bonnet and around the coolant tank, I've had the tank and cap replaced. 

Almost a week after changing the cap and not leaking anymore, i went for my birthday for a road trip to the lakes. !Removed! happened and a connector pipe going in the heater matrix blew up and sprayed coolant all over the engine. Long story short, had it recovered, my dealer changed the part and checked the heater matrix, and assured me it is fine.

After almost 2 weeks i left my car at the airport car park for more than a week (at this point i literally checked my coolant before setting off and sometimes after driving the car), the coolant level was fine when i parked up there, but when i got back i found the coolant tank almost empty.

After this, I've took my car for a 30 minutes drive with minimum 3000 rpm. Checked the level and it was all fine.

What I've noticed, was that longer trips (50+ miles), makes the coolant dissapear. Went to Leeds (80+ miles), and my coolant dropped from close to max line to min line.

Really apologise for the long thread but i am desperate since 2 mechanics checked it out and they said they can't find anything.

• 2 months later...

Hi Adrian,

thanks for your post. I’m having similar issues, coupled with the heating not working. Took it to Audi today and they have quoted for a heat exchanger change and a flush of the coolant system for a cool £2700 price tag, plus £200 for “diagnosing” it.

Before I go and ruin Christmas; what was the cure for you in the end?

Thanks,

Nick

Unfortunately i didn't got at the end of my problem. Changed coolant tank. Checked the tightness of the clips on the pipes, had front radiator checked out, replaced the water pump together with the timing belt, and yesterday (a week after changing the pump) i found my coolant tank empty.

My mechanic told me now that it's pretty obvious now that it's the head gasket, which unfortunately kinda ruined Christmas for me, hoping to have fixed the car and be able to go to France. In my case, i found coolant on the expansion tank, bonnet and around it, and the explanation would be that the head gasket is leaking pressure into the cooling system therefore throwing coolant out.

In your case, since the heating is not working, i bet it has something to do with the heater matrix. I had mine checked out and they said it's fine and doesn't need changing. However when i had the breakdown because of the burst pipe, i didn't had heating on the passenger side. After replacing the pipe and flushing the heater matrix i had heating but it still leaked.

At the moment I'm looking to try and get a garage to sort out the head gasket and other work which needs to be done under warranty.

Edit: before having my heater matrix checked i was quoted with about £200-£300 by an independent garage if it needed changing. £2700 is a hell of a lot, I'm wondering how much they would charge for a head gasket replacement, might actually give them a call tomorrow just out of curiousity

Edited by AdrianG

Hello Adrian,

Many thanks for coming back on this. When you initially outlined your ongoing issues, my first thought was head gasket. However, you said your mechanic had pressure tested the coolant system and ‘nothing was found’. Now you find after spending wedges of funds, that they now tell you that the H/G is indeed at fault and is allowing the coolant system to be pressurised by the pressure of combustion - good isn’t it! It seems like money has been spent unwisely! 
If it were mine, I would be untrusting any further tests and rectification to another garage. 

Hello Nick,

If this were mine, I would be finding a local trusted independent and getting a second opinion on this before committing to anything. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.