Lost Coolant

STUBBS1

Hello readers. I would like your thoughts on a serious problem. I had the cambelt changed on my Q2 1.4 TFSI at JCT600 after the work was completed i drove away and lost all my coolant over a distance of 10+ miles. The dealer has checked the car and is saying a thermostat hose has split but because this is on the the opposite side of the engine they cannot take the blame. My car was running perfectly prior to having this work done and i have never topped up the coolant in the 3 years owing the car. In fairness to the dealer they are doing the repairs with no cost to me but my question is how likely is it that a thermostat hose would split immediatley after driving out of the dealers, sounds a little suspious to me.

Hello Stuart,

Many thanks for joining and posting your plea. 
In essence, your question cannot be answered, since ‘coincidence’ comes into play, and really, who knows whether it was about to split anyway? 
Since they are now going to rectify the coolant loss, then my main concern would be:- did the temperature gauge give you sufficient warning of increasing coolant temperature to allow you to stop and switch off before all the coolant was expelled and any significant overheating prevented? 
Cambelt changes can incur having to remove the engine mounting, and obviously the need to support the engine to prevent stain on any components. Not sure about your actual engine, but personally I don’t see that any degree of post mortem is going to put you into a better position - at this time. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks for respoding and in reply to your question i did get get low coolant/high temp alarms but managed to get home without car going into limp mode. High temp alarm was intermitent.

I agree with your post mortem comment but my concern is Audi technicians competence i had the timing belt changed for peace of mind and i feel worse now than before i had it changed. Coolant hoses benchmark lifespan is ten years and my engine bay hoses i can see etc look perfect. My dilema is wether or not to use my local independant garage in the future as i have lost total confidence the dealers.

Hello Stuart,

Apologies for the late reply to your kind response. 
I think this simply boils down to whether your recent experience warrants a lack of confidence or not, at this stage. I do indeed understand your point, and I think even talking about moving to an independent demonstrates you have already lost that confidence. 
Just a couple of points:- Independents very often employ ex main dealer technicians, and judging by the number of (main) dealers advertising for technicians, I think there is now a greater risk of main dealers and independents having to employ people they may not have previously considered. 
Independent’s prices may not be that much cheaper than the main dealer, and indeed sometimes more expensive where main dealers have ‘offers’ on cambelt replacements etc.

Another option for your now 5 year old car is a trusted local garage, where you can actually talk directly with the ‘technicians’.

Kind regards,

Gareth.