Water ingress boot area- A8L 2013

1thomson

Go to solution Solved by 1thomson,

Morning all,

I am looking for for some assistance please. I have a continuous water leak to the left side of my boot. It gathers at the lowest point just below the sponge in the attached image. It's causing real problems with the electrical system and trim. Any guidance or tips would be greatly appreciated. The var does have a sunroof but drain appear to be clear. 

Many happy 

Raymond 

20221016_101259.thumb.jpg.fe27ca5c1aa76bc8d2cc2a97bd8fb0fc.jpg

Hello Raymond,

Many thanks for joining. 
Possible sources of ingress include rear lights, and around the tailgate rear wiper etc. 
I think the most direct method of finding the source is to remove as much of the inside-boot trim from sides etc. and get an unsuspecting smallest-available pal to get into the boot - armed with a battery operated inspection lamp. You run a hose pipe over the car, starting at the lowest points and working upwards, while ‘poor unsuspecting’ looks for when and where the water appears from. Correction will be dependent on source of ingress. 
Perhaps you can let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve, got a new seal, it's not that. Waiting for a decent day to look at it but I think the water is getting beneath the plastic drain between the window and the seal. There is a plastic cover and metal screw beneath it holding the drain in place. I think this is the area, thanks Raymond 

• 3 months later...
13 hours ago, Jet2work said:

Ray.... i had same issue on mine i thought iit was the sunroof.... it turned out to be the sealant around the rear screen. i took it to autoglass who removed  and resealed the screen 

Morning,

Funnily enough and after several months of trying to get someone to look at it, this seems to be the same problem I have with mine. By all accounts it's a fairly common thing with Audis in general. I'm collecting my car tomorrow and will phone Autoglass. Many thanks Raymond 

On 2/17/2023 at 9:34 AM, Jet2work said:

its odd as mine is an 8L too...i was shocked to see how badly the screen was bonded. i would say 30% was not properly glued in

Car is 10 years old but you would think it would be done properly, given the original price of the car. Will let you know how I get on 👍

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Solution

Hi all,

Sorry this has taken a good bit of time to sort out.

There were two issues, firstly a badly sealed rear window. I had it removed, cleaned re-sealed by a local bodyshop.

I still had water in the boot and then secondly,  found that there are two air vents, under the level of the rear lights and hidden by the bumper, which were not fitted correctly.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, 

Raymond 

Hope this helps

• Thanks 1