Reverse park/distance bleepers stopped working.

Magnet

Go to solution Solved by Magnet,

Wondered if anyone has been there/ sorted that, with the above problem. All I now get with the 2006 Sportback is a continuous bleep for about 10 seconds when selecting reverse, but no further proximity bleeps. 
Just hoping someone may be able to throw some light on this. 
Many thanks and kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hello Gareth.

I've not had that problem so no direct experience. Assuming the sensors are clean, I suggest looking for water ingress or a damaged wire. I daresay you have probably already thought of that so apologies if I am teaching grandma how to suck eggs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Magnet said:

Wondered if anyone has been there/ sorted that, with the above problem. All I now get with the 2006 Sportback is a continuous bleep for about 10 seconds when selecting reverse, but no further proximity bleeps. 
Just hoping someone may be able to throw some light on this. 

Gareth. 

Hi its most probably either the reversing switch on the gearbox or most likely the parking       sensor module is on its way to retirement.

Steve.

Many thanks Steve. Reverse light switch is fine, since reverse light comes on, and as said, I get a steady 10 second continuous bleep when reverse is selected.

Not sure, but going to investigate the possibility of one faulty sensor, on the basis that it could be one-out-all-out, and they simply all go on strike! 
I’ll report back when I get further into it. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello folks, 
Time for an update:- 

All the wiring looks good, and since there isn’t any noises/ vibrations at any of the four sensors, I thought I would swop the module ( for a secondhand one due to Audi’s anticipated cost). 
Outcome - still the same. I have done some spray work on the bumper, but no more than would be expected to respray a new one, and everything was fine for a week or two after. Tried WD 40 on all four. 

Where to now? As I see it, I ideally need diagnostics, and the question I need an answer to is, will that isolate which sensor/s are at fault ( if a sensor) rather than me ‘investing’ in a new set of fouron the off chance that may sort it? 

On a rare cadge for some help, would there be any member around the Cardiff area who has the necessary test gear, and be prepared to help, or indeed W. Wales, where we travel to occasionally. I don’t mind paying, but not really an uneconomical main dealer rate. 

Gareth. 

1 hour ago, Magnet said:

Hello folks, 
Time for an update:- 

All the wiring looks good, and since there isn’t any noises/ vibrations at any of the four sensors, I thought I would swop the module ( for a secondhand one due to Audi’s anticipated cost). 
Outcome - still the same. I have done some spray work on the bumper, but no more than would be expected to respray a new one, and everything was fine for a week or two after. Tried WD 40 on all four. 

Where to now? As I see it, I ideally need diagnostics, and the question I need an answer to is, will that isolate which sensor/s are at fault ( if a sensor) rather than me ‘investing’ in a new set of fouron the off chance that may sort it? 

On a rare cadge for some help, would there be any member around the Cardiff area who has the necessary test gear, and be prepared to help, or indeed W. Wales, where we travel to occasionally. I don’t mind paying, but not really an uneconomical main dealer rate. 

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth there must be someone in your area who has VCDS/Snap on they would definitely run the culprit to ground, try a local independent as most of them have something that will read it for a modest cash donation.

Steve.

• Like 1

• Solution

Many thanks for the advice.

A bit of an update:- 

Had the ‘offender’ diagnosed as the centre left sensor, so now have a replacement on order, so fingers crossed. 
Diagnostics was done by an independent, when travelling to W.Wales. Incase it helps someone at some time, they are P.W. Motorsports at a village called Clunderwen, just off the St. Clears to Haverfordwest main road. 
I must say, I found them efficient and most helpful, and to me - the icing on the cake is that you can talk with them, rather than a service receptionist. Karol Gos runs the place, and he quickly gave me the Audi part number and advised not to pay Audi’s £160! but to buy an aftermarket one. All in all, a superb service in my book. I can’t vouch for their service work, but I was certainly impressed with the assistance I had. 
Well done Karol, and thank you for your help. 
So it will be bumper off to get at this one, and I hope for good luck. 
Many thanks again.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Many thanks for the advice.

A bit of an update:- 

Had the ‘offender’ diagnosed as the centre left sensor, so now have a replacement on order, so fingers crossed. 
Diagnostics was done by an independent, when travelling to W.Wales. Incase it helps someone at some time, they are P.W. Motorsports at a village called Clunderwen, just off the St. Clears to Haverfordwest main road. 
I must say, I found them efficient and most helpful, and to me - the icing on the cake is that you can talk with them, rather than a service receptionist. Karol Gos runs the place, and he quickly gave me the Audi part number and advised not to pay Audi’s £160! but to buy an aftermarket one. All in all, a superb service in my book. I can’t vouch for their service work, but I was certainly impressed with the assistance I had. 
Well done Karol, and thank you for your help. 
So it will be bumper off to get at this one, and I hope for good luck. 
Many thanks again.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth well done, I would lay strong money that the plug in and the part are not even close to the Audi figure just for the sensor, who dares wins Rodney as Dell boy used to say.

Steve.