Headlight gone orange?

miyagi

Hi all,

My right headlight has turned orange.
I am wondering is it just changing the bulb or something to do with the ballast?

First time Audi owner, came from a basic 2005 car before! So it's all completely new to me.

I appreciate the help,

Thanks

On 11/3/2022 at 7:15 PM, Steve Q said:

Welcome to the forum you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch 🙂 have you got a picture? Ive be er heard of this before. 

Thanks for responding, I have uploaded photo's of both sides.
Orange can't be seen properly because it's day time and the light is orange now. 

I am not sure if it's just a bulb that needs replacing, if so:

- what colour is it? 4500k?

- where to buy it?

- usual garage price to change it

appreciate your help,

thanks

IMG_20221108_130015.jpeg

IMG_20221108_130026.jpg

Edited by miyagi

2 hours ago, miyagi said:

Thanks for responding, I have uploaded photo's of both sides.
Orange can't be seen properly because it's day time and the light is orange now. 

I am not sure if it's just a bulb that needs replacing, if so:

- what colour is it? 4500k?

- where to buy it?

- usual garage price to change it

appreciate your help,

thanks

IMG_20221108_130015.jpeg

IMG_20221108_130026.jpg

Hi its the bulb needs changing if it was the ballast it would either not work or the light would flicker, its a fairly easy job to replace just remove the rear cover to find out what bulbs you have its printed on the rear of the bulb it will be a D3S or D5S which a good branded set [you need to replace both sides] will be around £130, no idea about garage costs as I have always replaced my own, 4500k is off white but if you go up to 5500k as long as the wattage is the same will give a more pure white light, the k rating equals kelvin which is light output without he heat halogen bulbs produce.

STEVE

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi its the bulb needs changing if it was the ballast it would either not work or the light would flicker, its a fairly easy job to replace just remove the rear cover to find out what bulbs you have its printed on the rear of the bulb it will be a D3S or D5S which a good branded set [you need to replace both sides] will be around £130, no idea about garage costs as I have always replaced my own, 4500k is off white but if you go up to 5500k as long as the wattage is the same will give a more pure white light, the k rating equals kelvin which is light output without he heat halogen bulbs produce.

STEVE

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your help.

I watched this youtube video, and saw the procedure. I can see he uses d3s in the video and my friend checked on Eurocarparts 
Philips Vision D3S Xenon Bulb 4300K Single Boxed £87.99

Any reason why I can't just change that 1 light bulb? 
Many thanks

Just now, miyagi said:

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your help.

I watched this youtube video, and saw the procedure. I can see he uses d3s in the video and my friend checked on Eurocarparts 
Philips Vision D3S Xenon Bulb 4300K Single Boxed £87.99

Any reason why I can't just change that 1 light bulb? 
Many thanks

Hi bulbs are like track rod ends, tyres, brake pads, discs you always change them in pairs because they wear as a set the new single light bulb will be much brighter than the other side, you don't have to buy the expensive bulbs from Euros, go on eBay I have used many different brands and Limastar from valley lighting are about the best Lumex are good, you are supposed to change the bulbs every three years as they do go off.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/8/2022 at 9:16 PM, Stevey Y said:

Hi bulbs are like track rod ends, tyres, brake pads, discs you always change them in pairs because they wear as a set the new single light bulb will be much brighter than the other side, you don't have to buy the expensive bulbs from Euros, go on eBay I have used many different brands and Limastar from valley lighting are about the best Lumex are good, you are supposed to change the bulbs every three years as they do go off.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

I just went to the garage today with a brand-new pair of bulbs (Philips X-tremeVision D3S)
The garage put it in (driver's side) and it would not power up. They said the ballast module is gone. This is now turning out to be a bigger headache. 

Where can I get a new ballast?
image.thumb.jpeg.5f3dd2c5d19d46712077c1fe50166001.jpeg

Edited by miyagi

6 hours ago, miyagi said:

Hi Steve,

I just went to the garage today with a brand-new pair of bulbs (Philips X-tremeVision D3S)
The garage put it in (driver's side) and it would not power up. They said the ballast module is gone. This is now turning out to be a bigger headache. 

Where can I get a new ballast?
image.thumb.jpeg.5f3dd2c5d19d46712077c1fe50166001.jpeg

Hi the part number is the 4G0 number bottom left, put that in eBay and I think you will find you are spoilt for choice they are probably used on Skodas and  a lot of other VAG models and are an easy change don't worry about the letter at the end of the number as thats a year denomination.

Steve.

1 hour ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi the part number is the 4G0 number bottom left, put that in eBay and I think you will find you are spoilt for choice they are probably used on Skodas and  a lot of other VAG models and are an easy change don't worry about the letter at the end of the number as thats a year denomination.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Is it safer to buy a brand new from (Amazon - next day delivery) or get a used genuine part like this?

Thanks for all your help, really appreciate it

Many Thanks

Edited by miyagi

6 minutes ago, miyagi said:

Hi Steve,

Is it safer to buy a brand new from (Amazon - next day delivery) or get a used genuine part like this?

Thanks for all your help, really appreciate it

Many Thanks

Hi any source you like as long as the part number matches, I would buy new as there is never any indication with second hand, I.E. how old/miles etc.

Steve.