Excessive exhaust smoke/wheel bearing issue

Sb199393

I have a 2018 Audi A3 with 18k miles on it. I’m finding I have a couple of issues:

1) I seem to have excessive white smoke coming out my exhaust, even once the car is warmed up, in idle when stopped it seems like there is more smoke coming out than normal. I checked in the engine bay and there was a white residue, but when cleaned up it didn’t reappear. I thought it was a coolant leak, but how can I confirm? Coolant levels haven’t dropped down either. 

2) at around 40mph my front right wheel start whooping which changes with speed. I think the wheel bearing is damaged, but is this normal at 18k miles?

thanks in advanced!

Hello whoever you are.

Before anyone can comment, could you please take a little time and fill in your profile, and let us know whether you have a petrol or diesel engined car. 
At the moment, you hold the record for the most incomplete profile! 
Many thanks,

Gareth. 

1 hour ago, Magnet said:
4 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello whoever you are.

Before anyone can comment, could you please take a little time and fill in your profile, and let us know whether you have a petrol or diesel engined car. 
At the moment, you hold the record for the most incomplete profile! 
Many thanks,

Gareth. 

I like to live in the shadows. It’s a petrol - thanks for your help!

Sam

Thanks Sam,

We actually do have a sense of humour, but…

Anyway:- 

You tell us it doesn’t use any coolant. Definitely? Tested over what period of time, and how monitored? 
How long have you had the car, and when did this excessive smoke start? 
Any association with refuelling at some point? 
This is the test I suggest you do:- 

Choose a dry day, and take the car on at least a 10 mile run. Immediately on return, and without switching off, get an assistant to rev. the car to a steady 2000rpm and hold it there for two minutes, while you observe the degree of white smoke being emitted from the exhaust. 
Report back. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

On 11/19/2022 at 12:35 PM, Sb199393 said:

2) at around 40mph my front right wheel start whooping which changes with speed. I think the wheel bearing is damaged, but is this normal at 18k miles?

No it's not normal for a bearing to fail after 18000 miles, which is why I think the noise is caused by something else. A worn bearing would in any case make a very different noise. You can check the bearing by jacking the wheel off the ground, then rotating it. A low pitched rumble would indicate wear; a scraping or rubbing sound is something else. Grab the wheel top and bottom and try to rock it. There should be no movement if the bearing is sound. (Doing the same thing holding the wheel at left and right can be deceptive because of movement in the steering joints.)

While the wheel is in the air look for damaged tyre tread, rubbing brake pad, a warped disc.

While at 40 mph is there any vibration at the steering wheel? Does the car steer true or does it try to wander at that speed?

Let us know the outcome of these tests and we can advise further.

Hello Sam,

Get both front wheels removed and the tyres thoroughly inspected by a tyre retailer. 
Original tyres? If so, they are likely to be getting near the end of their useful life.

Perhaps you could let us know how you get on with this as well. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi both - thanks for your help; really appreciate it.

1) Will wait for a dry day to do the coolant test you reference. Is the logic if the smoke gets worse; then its likely a coolant leak?

2) On the wheel - it steers true, a little pull to the left but nothing I'd view as abnormal and no vibration or friction when steering. I'm thinking it's likely tire wear too given the mileage; did the 20p test though and seems they've got a bit of life in them yet but will get get them checked out.

I'll come back as I get the testing done - cheers again

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So update on this one now the car has been to the garage:

1) White smoke: Did your test, no smoke so I assume it was nothing abnormal and is instead me being a bit paranoid. 

2) I got them to check out the wheel issue. The challenge was tire feathering (abnormal wear) which was causing the road noise on front right. They've moved it onto the back to try and reduce the noise, but a new tire will be needed at some point. My MOT is in May so I plan to get new ones before then; as you say, they're reaching the end of their life soon in any case. 

Thanks for your help on this!

• Like 1

Many thanks for letting us know Sam.

My recommendation is to always fit tyres in pairs on the same axle whenever possible.

Are these the original tyres fitted new in 2018? If so make? 
Kind regards,

Gareth.