Brake caliper heating/noisy, tried nearly everything

ccarten5

Found my rear driver brake caliper to be very warm, and was creating a lot of noise when driving. Replaced the caliper, disc, pads, brake line hose and guide pins. Even wire brushed and smoothed out the guide rails on the brake caliper holder that the pads run along. But still the caliper is very warm after driving. The noise has reduced slightly, only making a screech when coming to a halt. Any ideas what else it could be? 

1 hour ago, Magnet said:

Hello,

Electric handbrake releasing properly Callum?

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth,

Did think of this previously so disconnected the electric handbrake, prized back the piston sufficiently and kept the handbrake disconnected. Took it for a 3 mile drive and problems seemed to persist. 

Could bad bearings or wheel hubs ever cause issues with braking?

Thanks

Hello Callum,

When the disc was renewed, was the mating surface  on the hub thoroughly ( in caps) de rusted and dressed to ensure a true mating contact. If not, there is a possibility that the disc is not running true and creating a greater degree of friction on the pads - even when the brakes aren’t being applied. Just a thought. 
Wheel bearings? I would have thought that the wheel bearing would have to be completely shot to transmit heat into the caliper - rather than the hub itself. Personally, I would be putting this possibility at the bottom of my list. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.

5 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello Callum,

When the disc was renewed, was the mating surface  on the hub thoroughly ( in caps) de rusted and dressed to ensure a true mating contact. If not, there is a possibility that the disc is not running true and creating a greater degree of friction on the pads - even when the brakes aren’t being applied. Just a thought. 
Wheel bearings? I would have thought that the wheel bearing would have to be completely shot to transmit heat into the caliper - rather than the hub itself. Personally, I would be putting this possibility at the bottom of my list. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.

I think you're right, but without seeing the car it's a consideration worth making given everything else that has been changed 🙂

On 11/29/2022 at 12:26 PM, ccarten5 said:

Found my rear driver brake caliper to be very warm, and was creating a lot of noise when driving. Replaced the caliper, disc, pads, brake line hose and guide pins. Even wire brushed and smoothed out the guide rails on the brake caliper holder that the pads run along. But still the caliper is very warm after driving. The noise has reduced slightly, only making a screech when coming to a halt. Any ideas what else it could be? 

Were the guide pins sufficiently lubricated with silicone grease, and a small amount of copper grease added to the pad interfaces on both the cradle and caliper?

jdragon, yeah new guide pins were properly lubricated with silicone grease and copper grease added to the cradle. Sometimes I do think I can hear a somewhat dull sound when driving, but I'm not sure if this is in my head or not!

Gareth, I'm going to take the disc off again and have a look. I did give it a quick wire brush down at the time but I maybe did miss some rust on the hub surface. The wheel bearings was just an out of the box suggestion, as I'm totally stomped with this lol

AudiJackAvant, given how similar the parts you replaced are to mine, I'd say it's a good chance we may have the same issue. Crazy how difficult such a simple problem can become!

Cheers folks for the suggestions

• Like 1