HVAC Recic. Flap not Opening?

ekimj10

Interior is always steaming up, even when it's dry out,side and is usually cleared by cracking one of the windows or using the noisy fast demist. system.

I suspect the recirc. flap is not functioning properly, the indication light comes on / off. Is there any positive way of checking it is working OK before I take it in to the local indie?

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Thanks Gareth, the A/C does clear the screen and side windows eventually on maximum blower speed which comes on when you switch the max demist button. I am confident there is no water ingress anywhere and I recently changed the air flow filter element, even bought one of those big bags containing silica gel crystals or whatever is used these days, none made any difference.

Seriously thinking of taking it in and asking the garage to wedge the flap permanently open as I don't need the recirc function. I'll let you know if anything develops.

I believe you are right about the flap being stuck, but I know of no way to test it without dismantling.

On second thoughts, how about wafting a little perfume by the external air intake. If you then can not smell it inside the flap must be closed.

Thanks Clifford, by external air intake, that I take it to be the black box under the bonnet between the wiper arms.

I'll have go tomorrow and see how we get on.

Following Clifford's advice, I looked at getting access to the air intake, not obvious how you gain access but realise there is a filter which could be clogged causing the lack of air into system. I'll look at getting new filter fitted and get the perfume test under way.

Thanks Clifford,

I haven't physically checked the filter but it was supposedly changed 3 months ago during a major service, I'm sure the garage can be trusted?

Had a go yesterday doing a 'perfume' check, not conclusive but my sense of smell maybe at fault, going to try again today using an aerosol spray, the one out of the loo and see if that works.

Fiddling with the controls with fan on max. opening and closing the air recirc did appear to change the air flow. Maybe it is working OPK?

Just tried the aerosol spray in the air inlet, fan on maximum, windows closed and no smell detected by my son. Off in the morning to see if I can get someone interested in looking at it, it's not a new problem but it's got to be sorted this time.

Took the car in to our local indie this morning, within a minute he confirmed with the OBD that the recirc.valve motor was open circuit and dead. Estimated cost was motor approx £100 and 1 hour labour cost. Booked in for 3rd Jan - can't  wait, he confirmed to keep it from steaming up to leave a/c on or crack a window or two.

Thanks for all replies should have done this  ages ago.

Just thinking and Audi should have designed this flap to fail in the open position. Not difficult I'm sure and how many times do to want to close it. Fumes outside possibly or help warming the interior.