massive hydroplaning even at 40mph

ccmedwards

Hi all - I have a 2018 Q5 with these wheels and these tires in the front and these tires in the back.

front: Toyo Proxes 275/40/20

rear: 275/40/20 Nexen Roadian GTX Rears

If the roads are remotely wet, I hydroplane everywhere. I've kept up with all of the rotations, balance, alignment, etc. I don't want to get rid of my wheels. Thoughts? 

Edited by ccmedwards

Interestingly your tyre choices are deemed ok for Wet Grip / all season. What sort of mileage have you done on them? Is it hydroplaning or general lack of wet grip you are suffering from? Hydroplaning is where the tyre is separated from the road surface due to excessive water on the road surface, lack of wet grip can be down to harder compounds, new tyres still having releasing agent on them from manufacturing or even poor wheel alignment. Are you liberal with the polish on your car - could the tyres have picked up waxes from polishing? Out of interest how does your ESP cope with it? 

20 hours ago, ccmedwards said:

Hi all - I have a 2018 Q5 with these wheels and these tires in the front and these tires in the back.

front: Toyo Proxes 275/40/20

rear: 275/40/20 Nexen Roadian GTX Rears

If the roads are remotely wet, I hydroplane everywhere. I've kept up with all of the rotations, balance, alignment, etc. I don't want to get rid of my wheels. Thoughts? 

Hi its the width of your tyres, anything over 225 will produce this effect, unfortunately if you love the wheels that much thats the price.

Steve.