A/C and MMI stopped working

TinPot TinTop

Hello. I have a 2010 Audi A6 Avant  2.0 TDIe SE Euro 5 5dr. It's done a few miles, runs like a dream, but has developed a couple of faults, simultaneously.

First, the MMi became slow to respond and around the same time the A/C fan became temperamental, sometimes taking a while to kick in. Then the battery went flat overnight. I figured there was probably a bit of damp in the system, caused a short and a power drain. Jump started the car, and from then on the MMi is totally dead, all controls on the center console are dead, heating/AC panel is live but no fan, although I can hear the doors moving around.

I've checked for damp and water ingress (there is a lot of condensation which is now freezing because of the cold) but can't find any. Checked fuses etc. Checked pollen filter. I did attempt to remove the scuttle panel but couldn't waggle it out. I took off the wipers and the two screws at the front centre, but just couldn't get it to shift and didn't want to break it.

Though the car has done over 200K, it's too good to skip, but if I can;t fix these issues then there's a cheap A6 Avant for sale! Any advice gratefully received.

S

32 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

I'd recommend a diagnostic check to see if any fault codes flag up. It could be a failing battery too. 

Regarding the condensation have you checked for damp carpets or water in the wheel well. 

They’re no fault codes (I have my own OBD thing), no damp carpets or wheel well. But yes, could be worth a new battery. Can be slow to turn over. 

2 hours ago, TinPot TinTop said:

They’re no fault codes (I have my own OBD thing), no damp carpets or wheel well. But yes, could be worth a new battery. Can be slow to turn over. 

Yea I'd get the battery checked. 

• 2 months later...
On 12/15/2022 at 6:25 PM, TinPot TinTop said:

Did you ever get to the bottom of this one? I’ve got similar issues (albeit the MMI is completely dead) and I wondered if you found it to be battery related? 

Not yet. I have a local Audi tech coming round on Wednesday to diagnose. From what I’ve told him, he thinks it’s probably one of many mmi modules that has failed. They’re all on the same fibre optic circuit so if one goes down it’s all kaput. Will let you know if I get an answer. Regarding the blower, he thinks either a controller or the motor itself. 
I will update you

• Thanks 1