A3 2.0 TDI Thermostat

Spock

Evening guys ,

I’ve got to replace the thermostat on my A3 2.0 TDI . Anyone know which brand is the original ? I’m thinking of fitting  a Febi stat , any opinions on this brand .

Thanks and merry Xmas

• Like 1

Hello Andy, 

There will be varying opinions on the use of genuine VAG parts or aftermarket, in terms of what I would call critical applications.

One way of looking at it is that if you are DIYing it, then your labour is free, so you can invest the savings by buying ‘genuine’ parts. 
Re. Febi:-  I have used this aftermarket brand to good avail with a number of applications - however, not including a thermostat renewal, where I used a VAG part at discount. 
If you wish to buy Febi to save some funds, then it might be worth trying Car Parts in Motion. I have found them to be competitive and efficient. No connections, and there are many others inc. those who offer large discounts on so called retail prices, and you still end up paying more that you would with competitors! 
Perhaps you could let us know what you decide Andy.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks for the reply Gareth,

I would rather use genuine VAG tbh . Any idea of the cost ? I will be doing it myself . Do you know if it’s possible to replace without removing the alternator ?

Thanks Andy

Hello Andy,

For VAG parts, you could try Audi Parts Direct at Cardiff ( part of now Mon Motors- previously Cardiff Audi) or Aberdeen Audi. Both were giving a bit of discount on mail order. Current cost?? - with everything rising in price at a rate of knots. 
I didn’t remove the alternator on my 1.6. One bolt was awkward as I recall, but…. Don’t forget to order a rubber ‘gasket’ since it was a separate part with mine. This gasket was daftly priced for wat it was - from memory.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

I’ve used Febi on numerous occasions and rate them . Anyone know on the 2.0 TDI if it’s possible to change without removing the alternator ? 

Thabks chaps

Now it’s stop raining I’ve managed to have a good look at the thermostat location . It appears if the throttle body is removed it will give good access and the alternator can remain . Any words of wisdom before I start would be much appreciated.

Rgds Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update on this . It’s a pig of a job !! Removed alternator and air con pump to gain access . Maybe easier removing inlet manifold and throttle body but will need a new gasket if you go down that route . I’ll update when we have it back together if it cures the problem . As per Gareth’s advice you do indeed require an extra gasket . Thank you Gareth 👍

Edited by Spock
  • Like 1