3L TDI Quattro 120k Miles - Maintenance to look at

jmikeyh

Hi all,

Picked up an A6 2012 a few weeks ago. The car is in quite good condition and was well looked after by the previous owner. It is at 120k miles, I've researched a little bit about things to be checking and replacing at around this interval and I've checked over the service record and everything looks in order. Everything in the "Additional work" section has been ticked as done in the last 40k apart from Haldex oil and multitronic oil. The car did also have a new rear diff, wet clutch and dual mass flywheel replaced (at over 3k in cost) last year, don't know if this means that the haldex/multitronic oil will have been changed at this time as well. My mechanical knowledge is lacking a bit here.

With that in mind, what are the things I should be looking for specifically to maintain what is currently a great condition motor with no major quibbles?  At least that I've noticed in the few weeks I've been driving it. I've spent a few hours today underneath the car inspecting the MOT advisory of a corroded rear axle, wire brushing it and coating it in a few layers of hammerite. I also need to replace the cotton splash guard in the centre of the car behind the engine.

Any pointers appreciated, cheers

Cambelt and water pump changed? 

Definitely worth getting haladex and gearbox oil changed for peace of mind. 

Do all electrical items work? AC, headlights etc. 

As it's quattro are the tyres the sane brands and even tread on the same axles as uneven tyre wear can damage the quattro system. 

Also worth checking YouTube for buyers guides. 

Remaps - have a look at Celtic tuning website as they have a configurator which can give you an estimate on upgrade figures. 

• Like 1

Hi Jon,

I 'adopted' my first Audi last March, having been a Ford man all my life so far... And as long as I can afford them, I will never go back!

As far as what to maintain - I'm new to that too, so will leave others more qualified/experienced to answer that... I can tell you that mine also has 120k, had a full Main Dealer Service History with previous owners, and I'll be sending it off for a 'Full Service' - to include all fluids in all components along with the usual service items - just for my own peace of mind. One thing to note is a common fault, apparently, with the 3l V6 TDI's - there is a plastic valve on the top of the engine 'in the V' between the cylinder heads, that can perish and start leaking... Don't know too much about it other than mine has the issue, so my coolant level is consistently lying just below Minimum on the expansion tank and has to be refilled if I've parked it on a slope! So mine will also be having that replaced at the same time - £30 for the part and near £600 for the labour as they have to remove everything to get to it, apparently! So one to watch for...

Regarding remaps; I was quite disappointed that mine was not achieving the figures given in the specs - not even close! I know they're a guideline, and rarely meet real world, but still I wanted to optimise it... So I went for a Superchips/Bluefin remap - literally online order, equipment shipped to you, DIY. And the difference was startling!

I have a 2017 A6 after the 'facelift' with the 272PS engine, so 268BHP when new in theory... The figures given for mine on the Superchips website are:

Manufacturer claimed BHP & Torque
268 BHP & 585 Nm (432 ft lbs)

After Superchips Remap
334 BHP & 688 Nm (507 ft lbs)

So, in theory, a gain of 66 BHP and 103 Nm (75ft lbs)

I have not measured it - either before or after - so cannot verify the figures. What I can tell you is that I now get at least 3mpg better economy, even with a relatively heavy right foot - even more so in 'economy' mode. And from the lights I can now beat RS4's & RS5's - much to their anger and disappointment when it says A6 TDI on the back of mine!

So, in conclusion, I would say the Superchips remap is worth it! (Other brands, obviously, are available)

https://www.superchips.co.uk/ECU-Remap/Audi/A6-Avant-C7-2011/Diesel

Best Regards,

Tigger

Edited by Tigger
Incomplete - hit the wrong button!
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 1/3/2023 at 1:08 PM, Tigger said:

Hi Jon,

I 'adopted' my first Audi last March, having been a Ford man all my life so far... And as long as I can afford them, I will never go back!

As far as what to maintain - I'm new to that too, so will leave others more qualified/experienced to answer that... I can tell you that mine also has 120k, had a full Main Dealer Service History with previous owners, and I'll be sending it off for a 'Full Service' - to include all fluids in all components along with the usual service items - just for my own peace of mind. One thing to note is a common fault, apparently, with the 3l V6 TDI's - there is a plastic valve on the top of the engine 'in the V' between the cylinder heads, that can perish and start leaking... Don't know too much about it other than mine has the issue, so my coolant level is consistently lying just below Minimum on the expansion tank and has to be refilled if I've parked it on a slope! So mine will also be having that replaced at the same time - £30 for the part and near £600 for the labour as they have to remove everything to get to it, apparently! So one to watch for...

Regarding remaps; I was quite disappointed that mine was not achieving the figures given in the specs - not even close! I know they're a guideline, and rarely meet real world, but still I wanted to optimise it... So I went for a Superchips/Bluefin remap - literally online order, equipment shipped to you, DIY. And the difference was startling!

I have a 2017 A6 after the 'facelift' with the 272PS engine, so 268BHP when new in theory... The figures given for mine on the Superchips website are:

After Superchips Remap

I have not measured it - either before or after - so cannot verify the figures. What I can tell you is that I now get at least 3mpg better economy, even with a relatively heavy right foot - even more so in 'economy' mode. And from the lights I can now beat RS4's & RS5's - much to their anger and disappointment when it says A6 TDI on the back of mine!

So, in conclusion, I would say the Superchips remap is worth it! (Other brands, obviously, are available)

Best Regards,

Tigger

Hi - Can I ask if you had any issues with reverting to your original map on the bluefin?

I recently bought a c7 245 map with a powergate3 (no more Bluefins available apparently), and when I downloaded the (original) map from the car it was only 19k - the "new" map from SuperChips was 1057k.

I queried this with SuperChips, and they said that Audi (and also BMW) "doesnt send a full file just the ID of the software then the programmer our end downloads the full file from the server" - and that the original file was fine..

I've re-queried this with SuperChips, as I can't see how you can revert to the original map if it isn't on the powergate, but they don't seem too keen to answer that - just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?

Obviously once I've uploaded the new map to the car, it will be too late...

Thanks

Chris

On 1/3/2023 at 1:08 PM, Tigger said:

Hi Jon,

After Superchips Remap

Best Regards,

Tigger

Hi Tigger,

Just curious about your Superchips, are you not concerned about your S Tronic box? I thought these boxes where already under max torque allowance and anything further would damage them, no? I too am getting terrible MPG, so if I could improve that I would happily, but just don't want to risk gearbox damage/excessive wear which in long run cost more than the MPG savings. 

Thanks. 

• 1 month later...

@c7-245@DJM911 Apologies for late reply; I didn't see you made contact...

Chris,

I have the big clunky Bluefin, with the almost old-fashioned dot-matrix style LCD Screen, I've not seen the Powergate3... I also didn't note the file sizes for the original or update files... All I can tell you is that with mine the 'flash' procedure to apply either Original or Stage1 Engine Map takes the same 15 minutes, and it is automated. Bluefin queries the car and detects which Engine Map is in place, and then offers to install either the original or Stage1 map - which ever one is NOT currently installed.

Following the Full Dealer Service I mentioned above I had issues with the car being very sluggish, so took it back to them... It was either very slow to build boost and 'go', or when you gave it more throttle to GET it to move it then dropped down 2 cogs and snapped your neck - not much in between, and count to 4 before it pulls away from junctions...! Not at all what my Audi was before the service! I removed the Stage1 Map before Service and reapplied it after - then repeating the remove/reapply either side of them having another look... So the Bluefin has been great for me.

( It turned out that changing the battery had somehow reset the 'adaptations' for the Throttle Pedal, the Engine Induction System, and the Gearbox - they reset everything and forced it to relearn the Throttle Pedal positions, how much boost the Turbo was giving at certain rev ranges/loads, and reminded the Gearbox how/when to change gear - and all is good again. Especially after the Stage1 was reapplied! 😉 )

David,

I had the same concerns but I did my research and found on a variety of Forums people had applied the same tune to the same car with the same Engine & Gearbox with no adverse effects.

If I floor it from the lights it does give a bit of a whine in First at full load, but it did that when I bought it before the Map was applied and I put it down to (relatively) high mileage @ 109k miles. The additional power/torque certainly did not change the sound it makes in any way... I do use a fairly heavy right foot from time to time, just for the fun of it when the roads are empty, but i have never done a Sport Mode 'Launch Control' take-off as I am concerned I'll break something...

Just flooring the pedal from the lights is more than enough... And I've done this with the car in Dynamic/Sport mode, fully loaded with 5 people and luggage, with no adverse effects - other than the temporary mental wellbeing of the passengers that were not expecting it! LOL!

I hope this helps...

Tigger