Drivers Side Window switch (A4 cabriolet)

Mario T

Hi All,

After 'having to' swap my window actuator today on the driver's side all was well. I've done the hard part all in and working. During the adjustment stage, I needed to connect and disconnect the card/switched and then closed the door so that I could see the glass lift and align it to the roof as they are frameless. This element was fine then all of a sudden the window wouldn't go up and down anymore. I tried a different window from the switch and this too didn't work. In fact, none of the windows operate from this driver's switch. I walked around to the passenger side and this window works perfectly using the passenger switch. 

Does anybody have any ideas.? Is there a fuse somewhere?

Your help is appreciated as I can't shut the window and it's winter.... 

Hi Both Thankyou for your replies.

Can I just check if the motor had gone would this prevent me opening other windows in the car.? Just that I went over to the passenger side and used the passenger window button; the window worked just fine. The drivers side button cluster nothing works I cant open the rear or passenger window.?

Could I ask what yo mean by the reset please.? Is that for the 'one touch' closing.? - sorry I don't know of any other reset. 

I will try the fuses in a while but the owners manual doesn't offer an obvious fuse that works for the drivers window. Would you know the description or no. of that fuse. Its so frustrating i was all pleased with myself for getting this far and then this has happened. I was just prepping to packing up and finish my window adjusting this morning. 

I've just read about the remote key fob module that you can buy and this connects to the driver's module so assuming this module does more than the others. I'm now starting to worry that the roof won't work either.? Surely if it was working it can't be that severe.? 

I was going to drive the car up the road to put a bit of charge back in the battery do you think this will be ok without the door card connected which of course includes the window switches.? 

1 hour ago, Mario T said:

Crikey - If this works I'll owe you a beer lol.

Keep us posted 🙂 could be the whole switch panel. The driver's side switches control them all. One way to discover if that unit has failed is to try and put the passenger window down with the passenger side switch. 

Yea you should be ok to drive it 

Hi Steve,

I got it working. Within the door card there is the main wire that connects everything. I did read something on this earlier. Something to bear in mind as I'll definitely take it with me.

The plug has that up and over type lever that pulls the plug into the body of the module. I did this and clipped it in. However after wobbling it the passenger window worked I wobbled again and I felt it 'seat' I tried the drivers window and it worked. Literally didn't do anything else. Scary really as I was about to buy one of everything.

It must have been where I kept unclipping it to lower the window to adjust. I realised today I didn't need to do that as there are 2 access holes cut in the door when the window is fully up. You can do all your adjusting here without the door card even attached.

Just close the door let the window lift and gauge the height. If only I'd known that yesterday I'd have been finished yesterday and probably not excessively connected and disconnected the plug.