Dannyspain

Hi, I am Danny and I live in spain.

Just retired and thinking of buying a 2004 2.5 Avant. It has 360k km on the clock, it is in excellent condition inside and out.

Any tips on what I should look outfox, before I buy it?

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch 🙂 I have an A6 c5 2.5tdi with 344k on the clock. Full service history and I'm the second owner. My dad being the first owner. The engine and gearbox have never been rebuilt. 

What's the service history of the car? 

Check when Cambelt and water pump was last changed.asbrgis is a front of the car off job. Should be done at least every 8 years. 

Do all electrical items work? 

AC compressors can fail and they're expensive to fix. The central LCD screen pixels are known to fail but these can be replaced for around £300 roughly. 

Also I appreciate Spain doesn't get as much rain as the UK but water ingress culprits include the pollen filter housing and the battery tray which is located on the scuttle panel. The tray fills with leaves etc blocking the drains. These spots let water in and flood the comfort control module situated under the carpet (passenger side in rhd cars). The CCM failing can cause all sorts of electrical gremlins. And has to be replaced with a part with identical part number. 

If an auto and a CVT make sure it changes smoothly as these gearboxes are prone to failing. Make sure it's been serviced. 

Slow starting can be caused by failing glowplugs. I can confirm this engine can start with only 3 glowplugs working! As I found out. 

Smokey exhausts can be caused by leaking injector seals. 

Headlight switches have been known to catch fire and I believe there was a recall for this however as the car you're looking at is a 2005 model you should be fine. 

I personally am finding it hard to source interior trim. You might have more look in LHD. 

As with any diesel the turbo can fail and they can whine. My car has had 2 turbo's in it's 20 year 344k life. The first turbo failed at just over 70k. 

These engines do have egr valves. These valves are known to fail on modern diesels but In my case (fingers crossed) it's still on its original egr valve. 

Knocking noises from the front can be engine mounts. Also on the front suspension arms are known to go. 

Bodywork issues are the top of the front arch lips due to the cars having a piece of foam on the inside which obviously absorbs moisture and causes the wings to rot, and bubble all round the arch edge. Also check lower does where the lower door trim is as rust can form under this trim. You'll know if you look on the inside of the door in the corner. You might be lucky as the cars lives in Spain. But on the fill side the headlights may have been affected by the sun and gone cloudy. 

Over all they're great cars I still use mine for road trips around the UK and Europe. It's due to go to Norway and the arctic circle in August!

On the whole it's been reliable despite going round the nurburgring, drag strip at Santa Pod plus maxing it on the autobahn. Obviously I've mentioned some issues, of which I've had a few of the ones listed. 

A lot of people slag off the 2.5tdi as being unreliable, however I believe the unreliability comes from a lack of good maintenance and poor servicing. Mines over serviced to be honest but I want it to be on best form.as possible and for my peace on road trips. 

Just remember the car might be cheap to buy but no matter how old an Audi gets the bills remain high. 

Oh and don't forget to check out the A6 c5 section on this forum as it'll give you further helpful advice 🙂

1 hour ago, Dannyspain said:

Wow...

That was a magnificent and comprehensive reply, it is an automatic. Thank you so much for that.

You're most welcome, 21 years of c5s you get to know all the ins and Outs. 

It could be a tiptronic gearbox which aren't as bad. Just make sure the gears change smoothly and that the gearbox has been serviced. 

I bet it's a final edition model too being a 2005 c5. As such mdke sure the satnav works. It'll be the RNS-E version. 

With the high mileage I'd like to think it's been very well maintained.