2008 NUMBER PLATE LIGHTS

Mmiillllaahh

hello guys new to the forum. 
got Audi q7 2008 owned it for many years. 
problem I have is the number plate lights. 
both are out, tested holders ect all work. Checked the cables going to the unit and there’s no power chased cable up to the back of window still no power going to the lights but there is power going to the handle. 
advised these are not fused 

just wondering if anyone had any any problems similar 

thanks 

sorry if not posted correctly or correct place just please advise thanks and I’ll move to right section. 

Hello Stephen,

Thanks for joining. 
It’s worth checking the wiring within the flexible harness twixt body and tailgate. This is a favourite place for wires to fracture - particularly in cold weather - due to years of flexing by opening/ closing. 
Perhaps you could let us know how you get on. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

1 hour ago, Mmiillllaahh said:

Where do I find that please is that within the boot area or some where else thanks Gareth.

steohen 

Hi if you look to the top of the boot with it open you should see a black armoured section of cable that runs between the boot lid and the bodywork both ends will have a rubber grommet on either end of the armoured plastic, some you can get one end grommet out and pull it back to expose the wires inside, unfortunately you normally have to get both grommets ou and cut it all with a Stanley knife to fully expose the wiring which Murphys law says is broken right in the middle of the armoured covering where it flexes, I did my daughters Alfa one back last march and just put in some extra short sections in between the broken wires which I soldered in and made repair, I then replaced the split armoured piece using washing up liquid to get the grommets in again and filled the plastic ribbed bit with black silicon and pulled the split together with small tie wraps until the silicon had set, then cut the wraps which left it nice and moisture proof, I believe you can buy a rear section with a new bit of armoured pipe but they are not cheap.

Steve.

Might sound odd but does the rear windscreen washer spray onto the rear window? The rear wiper motor is designed stupidly to have the water run through the motor itself. The motor seals fail and when trying to spray water onto the rear screen you can hear the washer motor and the rear wiper moves but little to no water comes out. The water runs down the inside of the tailgate onto the light unit and corrodes it over time so if you just put a multimeter onto the terminals where the bulb goes it will show no power. Might be worth a check before anything else.