Wing mirrors

Paul Hicks

Hi guys

new to the forum so forgive me if I’m doing this wrong, I’ve just acquired q5 s line 2018 model only to my amazement have discovered it doesn’t have electric folding wing mirrors can this be converted in anyway ???

Hello Paul, 

Welcome and thanks for joining. 
Folding mirrors? 
Two possibilities:- The car wasn’t built with the mirror folding facility, or it was, and (not uncommon) it isn’t working anymore. 
Your first port of call would be to get a build record print out via. your local dealer, by giving them your VIN. 
If you find it wasn’t built with this facility, then yes, it would be possible to modify it, but I think you will find the cost and hassle involved would render it impractical. 
Let us know how you get on with the dealer request for the build record. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth,

thanks, I did contact the dealer only to find out it was an option to the customer when car was ordered from new and apparently they never took the option !!!!! In my naivety I assumed that being an Audi that would come as standard !!!!🙄🙄🙄🏌️♂️

paul

2 minutes ago, Paul Hicks said:

Hi Gareth,

thanks, I did contact the dealer only to find out it was an option to the customer when car was ordered from new and apparently they never took the option !!!!! In my naivety I assumed that being an Audi that would come as standard !!!!🙄🙄🙄🏌️♂️

paul

Hi the mirrors have all the fittings for folding it just needs activating if you can find someone with the latest version of VCDS they can activate them, my car has not got folding mirrors but I was able to activate the mirrors tilting when reversing and the boot operation from inside the car opening and closing also I can use the key fob to close boot as well as open it none of which was operating when I bought it, BMWs are the same but because they changed the software you now can't do it yourself, Dealer only so they now charge a monthly subscription for three years to activate things such as heated seats, its all built in to the car it just needs waking up.

Steve.

Hello Steve, 

Surprised that VAG seem to operate differently from many others, by fitting motorised mirrors and associated bits, where the customer isn’t paying. In this case, then I guess the dealer can discourage the new car buyer from paying quite a premium, and suggesting to the customer that they will  just programme in that facility on receipt much, much cheaper. Nice little earner that. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

3 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello Steve, 

Surprised that VAG seem to operate differently from many others, by fitting motorised mirrors and associated bits, where the customer isn’t paying. In this case, then I guess the dealer can discourage the new car buyer from paying quite a premium, and suggesting to the customer that they will  just programme in that facility on receipt much, much cheaper. Nice little earner that. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi the fitting of the motorised mirrors and other extras saves a massive amount of time and build reading as the line moves, whatever the customer specified is added at the end of the line by the mainframe computer that programs the ECU/BCM no man hours except for pushing a button, Mercedes,Porsche, Bently, Peugeot, Fiat,Alfa Romeo, Ford are all the same, they don't tell the customer thats what they are doing and if you asked they would probably tell you they had to fit different mirrors.

Steve.

• 3 months later...