Topless Drivers . . .

Disgracefully Old

I bet that topic title got some of you going, thinking what this then? Driving Topless !

Anyway. The last time I had a convertible was a Triumph Stag. Gorgeous car, and driving this TT brings back fond memories.

However, during the beautiful weather we had last year I discovered something. Driving with the roof down caused an issue with visibility during the bright sunshine in that it got behind the sunglasses at the top and made you end up squinting.

This can of course be alleviated by wearing a baseball cap because the peak stops the sun getting behind the top of the glasses. But have any of you found a way around this so you don't have to wear the cap?

I appreciate it may seem a silly point to some, but I surely can't be the only one to experience this?

Thanks for any tips or info in advance.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

You didn't specify what product from the link you thought would be the solution to your problem.

Also - lighten up, why don't you?🙄

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gsmdo said:

You didn't specify what product from the link you thought would be the solution to your problem.

Hi Mike we all have had a good laugh about some posts you have made, most memorable is your parcel being left between your buns, brings light relief to a serious or not post.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, gsmdo said:

spacer.png

I was hoping that my initial thread explained everything quite clearly?

I started this thread because I didn't think I would be the only one suffering from this, and from reading articles around on the web it seems it's an issue a lot suffer from. However it's nice to know there is an alternative to wearing a baseball cap or peaked cap if you don't want to. Thats why I started this thread.

The image above is an idea. I think I will order an insert, but I will be cutting away the bottom and sides because I want to maintain my preipheral vision, and it's also not needed below either. It may be a bit pricey, but I only need one and at least it solves the problem, and for the amount of time each year that this would be an issue it's a trade off.

However this encased solution may also be a great fix for people with hay fever that suffer from runny eyes all the time too as an added bonus.

21 hours ago, Disgracefully Old said:

I think I have found a good solution to this problem. https://www.eyewear-accessories.co.uk/     Who make sunglasses and add-ons for them, including some pretty nifty light blocking versions.

Oh wow didn't know this was a thing. Glad you got sorted 🙂

spacer.png

I wear glasses like these on my motorbike as it stops the cold air rushing through the sides which definitely makes your eyes water

Available through a company called Fat Skeleton 

• 2 months later...
On 2/27/2023 at 3:09 PM, Disgracefully Old said:

I bet that topic title got some of you going, thinking what this then? Driving Topless !

Anyway. The last time I had a convertible was a Triumph Stag. Gorgeous car, and driving this TT brings back fond memories.

However, during the beautiful weather we had last year I discovered something. Driving with the roof down caused an issue with visibility during the bright sunshine in that it got behind the sunglasses at the top and made you end up squinting.

This can of course be alleviated by wearing a baseball cap because the peak stops the sun getting behind the top of the glasses. But have any of you found a way around this so you don't have to wear the cap?

I appreciate it may seem a silly point to some, but I surely can't be the only one to experience this?

Thanks for any tips or info in advance.

no mate, so far only caps lol  

I keep forgetting to grab my sunglasses from out of the car and take a picture, but, I solved the problem with some semi-wrap around sunglasses I had, and some thin foam padding which had 3M adhesive backing on it.

I cut it into a slim length and stuck it to the top of the sunglasses frame, so the foam follows the frame from one end to the other, and it works perfectly, no need for the baseball cap . . . Unless you want to wear it that is, but it's nice to have a choice now.

I think the main thing here is that cars now have shorter screens in front of you, which is where the sun gets down behind the glasses, whereas the Triumph Stag had a longer windscreen / frame that went into a T shape, but of course these cars now are much more open, which is lovely.

I'll pop a pic up tomorrow.

Edited by Disgracefully Old