EPC

Weeder

I have a 20 plate 35tfsi Black Edition sline Q2. The stop/start never works, it always shows a line thru the symbol on the dash but now I’m getting occasional EPC warning symbol shortly after starting the engine and driving off. If I stop and restart the EPC clears but stop/start is still not working. I have checked the battery and getting 12.5v without engine running. Any ideas before I shower it in money please ? 

2 hours ago, Weeder said:

I have a 20 plate 35tfsi Black Edition sline Q2. The stop/start never works, it always shows a line thru the symbol on the dash but now I’m getting occasional EPC warning symbol shortly after starting the engine and driving off. If I stop and restart the EPC clears but stop/start is still not working. I have checked the battery and getting 12.5v without engine running. Any ideas before I shower it in money please ? 

Hi get the car plugged in and scanned for faults that should illuminate the problem.

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the car back after 1st mot, after doing a diagnostic I was told there was only 1 fault relating to fuel pressure which was cleared. Driving back the stop/start is still not working ? Started the car yesterday and the EPC light stayed on with a stop/start warning. Turned engine off, restart and all cleared again. Not too bothered about stop/start not working as I tend to turn it off in town but it’s the Epc that’s a concern. Had to drive it with the warning on recently because I couldn’t stop, it ran ok, not in limp mode or anything. Help !

Hello Mike, 

All other things being serviceable, the failure of the stop start system is usually associated with a below par battery. Appreciating you have check your battery voltage, but if that was with a multi meter, then that no- load test is almost meaningless. 
Stray warning light issues can also be characteristic of battery issues. Yes, I know the car starts well, so it is assumed that the battery must be OK, but the battery condition monitor will know differently! 
Even quite sophisticated battery test test equipment may not test all of the parameters monitored, so again beware of testing with ‘outdated testers’. 
A new battery - if needed - will need coding to the car. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth thanks for the fast reply, appreciate it. Yes I put a multimeter on the battery and got 12.5 v while engine off and assumed all ok. I know these things happen but would you expect a 3 yr old battery on a 27k miles car to start to fail already ? When you say “coded” do you mean Audi have to do it ? 
Mike

Hello Mike,

Would I be surprised that a 3 year old 27K battery on a s/s equipped car is starting to fail? - No I wouldn’t, based on hard experience of non-Audis doing that just out side the 3 year warranty, and particularly since your car is likely to have sat around unused for possibly months during Covid component supply issues. 
As said, simply testing battery voltage with a multimeter is meaningless. 
Yes, coding will necessitate diagnostics generally only held by main dealers and independents. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

10 minutes ago, Weeder said:

Gareth

Thanks for your time and advice, very helpful. When it gets worse I will arrange a new battery.

Mike

Hi if you go to Halfords and buy a battery they also have the facilities to re code it to the car, come to that most high end independents can do exactly the same as now most of them have the new kit out that pairs any battery with any car, I did my mates BMW with an Autel unit we borrowed from a garage 900yds from where he lives.

Steve.