A6 2lt diesel mpg lower than my TT 2lt petrol

ChipperA6

Hi All, 

Not sure if anyone else has had this issue but I have just purchased a used A6 diesel (2020) and my mpg are shockingly low. My drive to work is 2 miles side roads and 33 miles motorway. My last A6 diesel (2017) used to do the journey with between 55/65mpg depending on how I drive, the new A6 is struggling to do 45/50mpg. both cars are 2.0lt engines, the first was 190bhp and the latest is 204bhp. 

I also have an Audi TT petrol (2021) 2.0ltr 245bhp and driving the same way I can get between 35/40mpg. working on the difference in fuel cost, it actually works out cheaper to take my TT to work?

Is anyone else seen this issue?

Thanks

4 hours ago, ChipperA6 said:

Hi All, 

Not sure if anyone else has had this issue but I have just purchased a used A6 diesel (2020) and my mpg are shockingly low. My drive to work is 2 miles side roads and 33 miles motorway. My last A6 diesel (2017) used to do the journey with between 55/65mpg depending on how I drive, the new A6 is struggling to do 45/50mpg. both cars are 2.0lt engines, the first was 190bhp and the latest is 204bhp. 

I also have an Audi TT petrol (2021) 2.0ltr 245bhp and driving the same way I can get between 35/40mpg. working on the difference in fuel cost, it actually works out cheaper to take my TT to work?

Is anyone else seen this issue?

Thanks

Hi its probably that the newer car is euro six + 2 and thats where the extra horsepower comes from, more fuel and air, just a theory.

Steve.

No, I looked at the spec and I should be getting 'combined' 62.8mpg and 'Extra Urban' 67.3mpg... less the real life factor. last night I set cruise control to 65mph and only got 54mpg, my old A6 used to get 65+mpg. I just emailed the dealership for answers. 

Ok, I spoke with Audi's engineer and what he said was crazy but it worked. He said that the 'efficiency' setting does not work with my driving pattern and that I should switch it to 'Auto'. I did this and i'm now getting those high mpg again.

It works so I am happy but it's a bit misleading. People who don't know this and are thinking they are doing the best thing by using 'efficiency' mode are losing 10mpg, on a 60ltr tank is 150miles less.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/21/2023 at 4:42 PM, Shytot said:

Yours is a C8 4K.

If you have the My Audi App you can find out your configutration and extras there

On 3/13/2023 at 7:51 AM, ChipperA6 said:

Ok, I spoke with Audi's engineer and what he said was crazy but it worked. He said that the 'efficiency' setting does not work with my driving pattern and that I should switch it to 'Auto'. I did this and i'm now getting those high mpg again.

It works so I am happy but it's a bit misleading. People who don't know this and are thinking they are doing the best thing by using 'efficiency' mode are losing 10mpg, on a 60ltr tank is 150miles less.

Thats quite interesting i have mine set at efficiency mode as well so im going to try mine on auto mode as well

15 hours ago, Neverlandandy said:

Thats quite interesting i have mine set at efficiency mode as well so im going to try mine on auto mode as well

To be fair, I returned the A6 due to multi electronic issues. my new A6 is a 22 plate, diesel, mild hybrid, it states that it should do 60 to 67mpg but I have only ever reached 55mpg. I'm getting 42.7mpg in my petrol TT so there is something seriously wrong with Audi's A6 at the moment. 😞

Edited by ChipperA6

I changed mine to Auto having read this thread. its made a marginal improvement (previously around 42-44mpg) now 48mpg-51mpg.

For context my colleague has a 2019 A6 3.0 tdi. 22K miles and does 45mpg-56mpg 

This goes back to the old argument about bigger engines working less hard to move mass (weight). And might be the case here.