water getting in

coupe4

hi guys,ive had my coupe parked outside for a couple of days and theres a serious amount of water after lodging in the drivers side rear,i think its my door rubbers but i saved up some rain water and poured it over the doors and they seem fine,also the boot is dry and i stripped and checked the front panel below wipers and its clear too.there seems an awful lot of water as we didnt get much rain in the time it was out.im thinking could it be the heater matrix?and is there any easy way to check[i know its a pig of a job to do]  any suggestions on how to fix this would be very welcome.greg.

Hello Gregg,

If it’s the heater matrix then you will be obviously losing coolant, and your ‘floor water’ will be tinged with antifreeze. Chances is it’s rain water ingress. Was the car parked with with the driver side facing the prevailing rain and wind? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

hi gareth,yes i think ive ruled out the matrix as its not using any coolant and the water i squeezed out seems very clear so id say your right and its rain water,its very frustrating and i do think i parked it with the drivers side exposed,   ah well im off for the weekend so more investigatingfor me!  thanks for your reply.

a quick update on my wet floor,the water is getting in through the rear lights ive discovered.i know this is a common fault with coupes,my son sprayed rain water on the back window and down towards the lights and it was flowing in fairly quick.so ill get sealant tomorrow and hopefully that will sort it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi when water gets in through the boot of a coupe it should run down between either side of the boot seal and then it goes over the back lights under the black trim and drains out either side of the bottom of the rear number plate but sometimes water can get in through the top of the back lights. I had this problem before and the water was getting into the boot and getting under the back seat onto the rear floor. I put silicone on the top of the back lights but it was causing water to stay on top of the lights. I think you need to completely remove the rear lenses and replace the rubber gaskets on the lenses. Water seems to get in by the indicator part of the lenses pretty badly.if you do sort the rear light seals dont assume this is the only way water is getting into the back of your car. I had water leaking into my rear footwell for years and the problem was when it rained water was getting in between the door rubber and the inner plastic trim that goes half over the rubber and half over the carpet. When it rains water is suppose to get in through the door windows and then drain through the bottom of the door outwards but on my car water was getting straight onto the rubber and then going into the car under the carpet. I only had this problem after replacing the door card after replacing a window regulator. What i done to stop the leak was put loctite tape over the door drainage holes but leave a tiny gap on the part of the hole which is on the outer side of the door and water just drains outwards. Not ideal but it stops the car getting wet and you dont see the tape under the door. I replaced door rubbers but they were fine. Good luck.

thanks ian,i thought for a long time it was my door rubbers too and i tried to source them but they were crazy money.i poured rainwater over the doors and their fine.ive removed the rear lights and resealed them and put new sealant on the area where they sit into the body,ive also a new boot seal on the way so hopefully ive sorted it for a while,i suppose its coming on 30 years old now so there will always be jobs to be done.thats why i love owning it!anyway thanks for your advice.greg

Hi Greg i hope it will be ok for you now. water can get in anywhere. It took me years to work out how it was getting in. Its fun trying to fix in summer but a nightmare in winter. Sounds like your making progress with it. 👍

• 3 weeks later...

latest update on my wet floor,after a very wet few days here in ireland my floor on the ds had a pool of water again so my son and i gave the whole back area a thorough soaking and its completely dry,so we started around the windscreen area and we found water pouring in through a tiny gap.so i now think ive finally solved it.ive included pics[will tidy up and paint area when dry]for anyone whos experiencing similar nightmares.greg

20230413_185231.jpg

20230413_185238.jpg

20230413_185228.jpg

20230413_185245.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...