New Serpentine Belt Loose HELP

Shmeefly

Hi everyone I've just bought an Audi A6 2.0 diesel with a snapped belt, so I purchased a new one and tensioner + guide roller, fitted them and put the belt on and have loads of play ??? As if I missed a roller or something ??? Phone parts shop and they confirmed it was the right belt ??? Anyone know what I'm doing wrong here ??? I think the engine is a CAG 

20230317_101240.jpg

20230316_182222.jpg

20230316_182215.jpg

20230316_182206.jpg

Edited by Shmeefly

id say youve the correct belt but your not putting it correctly around all pulleys,check a diagram to see the way the belt runs

• Like 1

Hello Nikki, 

You are of course at a disadvantage of not having been able to do a sketch of the old belt routing prior to its removal - which is the normal procedure. 
Did the belt come with the snapped belt? Of course, if so, you could check old against new. 
Re. Parts Shop confirming the belt you have is indeed the correct one, this may benefit from independent confirmation. 
What make belt did you buy? For most of the main aftermarket belt manufacturers, you should be able to make contact with their technical section and confirm correct fitment via. reg. no. and/or VIN. Really worth doing. 
Alternative if you are convinced you have the correct routing, would be to buy a belt from a main dealer. Belt only should suffice, since you will know whether you have like for like tensioner and idler. 
Perhaps you could let us know how you get on Nikki.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

15 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello Nikki, 

You are of course at a disadvantage of not having been able to do a sketch of the old belt routing prior to its removal - which is the normal procedure. 
Did the belt come with the snapped belt? Of course, if so, you could check old against new. 
Re. Parts Shop confirming the belt you have is indeed the correct one, this may benefit from independent confirmation. 
What make belt did you buy? For most of the main aftermarket belt manufacturers, you should be able to make contact with their technical section and confirm correct fitment via. reg. no. and/or VIN. Really worth doing. 
Alternative if you are convinced you have the correct routing, would be to buy a belt from a main dealer. Belt only should suffice, since you will know whether you have like for like tensioner and idler. 
Perhaps you could let us know how you get on Nikki.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

I have the remains of the old belt and it just about has the label left and it exactly the same belt ??? I've been sleeping underneath this car staring at these wheels 😆 and just can't figure it out 

Matching label/ part numbers on both belts then?? 
Old belt in tact and complete at a a single break point, and measured like for like on old and new?? 
Belt makes as a matter of interest? 
If yes, to the first two questions, then obviously the routing is wrong - assuming old and new tensioner and idler are a match. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

I remembered I had Autodata on an old tablet, looked it up and was the wrong diagram I was using !!! and the belt went strait off the generator strait to the first pulley, not to the power steering and air con first like I was trying to do lol

Thanks for everyone's replys 

• Like 2