1998 a3 need help

Tram99

This is my first time working on a Audi and I replaced the water pump on it and when I replaced the tensioner for the timing belt and the washer fell into the cover and I don’t know it did and when I turned over the washer fell into the crankshaft gear and the it went clunked and I took it back apart and the engine turn a 1/4-1/2 turn and just stops I don’t if I broke or bent a valve because the wash messed up the new belt as well any help be appreciated 

1 hour ago, Tram99 said:

This is my first time working on a Audi and I replaced the water pump on it and when I replaced the tensioner for the timing belt and the washer fell into the cover and I don’t know it did and when I turned over the washer fell into the crankshaft gear and the it went clunked and I took it back apart and the engine turn a 1/4-1/2 turn and just stops I don’t if I broke or bent a valve because the wash messed up the new belt as well any help be appreciated 

Hi if the washer got between the belt and the crankshaft gear the washer has probably moved the belt timing only way to check is strip it down and re time it, if it still won't turn [by hand ] then something is bent its no good trying to turn the engine over without it being timed up as there will always be a loss of synchronisation between the two elements camshaft/crankshaft so that means an open valve.

Steve.

I stripped it down and tried to re time it and it doesn’t matter how many time I move the cams the crank won’t move but a 1/4-1/2 a turn and it was turning just fine I’m probably going to pull the head and see if there is damage because I don’t believe it’s in the lower end of the engine.