A4 avant 2.0tdi starter

omlette

fitted new starter to my 2006 A4 Avant 2.0 tdi,and it does not want to engage with the flywheel,when you try and start it you can here it turning,but not catching the flywheel.any thoughts?

11 minutes ago, omlette said:

fitted new starter to my 2006 A4 Avant 2.0 tdi,and it does not want to engage with the flywheel,when you try and start it you can here it turning,but not catching the flywheel.any thoughts?

Hi probably the wrong starter, before you changed it did you count how many teeth on the starter dog gear as its quite a common problem I had it on my old Mondeos the parts place I bought the replacement from were adamant the 2.0 would fit the 2.2, wrong! the 2.2 unit had a 10 tooth dog gear and the 2.0 had eleven teeth so is all it did was jam onto the side of the flywheel and whiz round.

Steve.

• Like 1

yes thats what i am thinking,i bought the car like that,the guy that had it before fitted the new starter and said it would not start,and that is how i bought it,it have 9 teeth and i am thinking it shoul be poss 11,but i do not have the old starter or his contact details

5 hours ago, omlette said:

yes thats what i am thinking,i bought the car like that,the guy that had it before fitted the new starter and said it would not start,and that is how i bought it,it have 9 teeth and i am thinking it shoul be poss 11,but i do not have the old starter or his contact details

Hi the only way is to buy a new starter based on your VIN, my guess is its an eight tooth dog gear.

Steve.