Juddering that came & went, now seized offside front caliper

Rider1000

Go to solution Solved by Stevey Y,

Hi all.. 

Just arrived in Cornwall for a few days holiday. And when I say just... I just made it.

AUDI A3 8p 2010 

250 mile journey and at about 220 miles after a bit of hard braking the car started juddering lightly, it got far worse when I braked. Stopped the car to check wheels were tight (just had 2 new tyres, so could have been loose). All good, and no movement in bearings etc that I could discern.

Started off again and it was ok, smooth and smooth braking, later on it started the light juddering again and when braking hard juddering. Stopped again. Still couldnt see anything. Started off again and light juddering which then disappeared but then came back together with hard brake judder every now and then.

Then a mile from our destination I noticed the car slowing down too much in between gear changes. I coasted to see and it slowed down as though the brakes were slightly on. I reached our destination and yes the offside front caliper was seized o and of course vey hot.

no ABS or engine light on at all.  So I am thinking this is not mechanical as in warped discs or anything like that but perhaps a caliper problem, or perhaps an ABS pump problem. 

Any opinions or advice?

Returning (supposedly in 3 days - fat chance of a garage being free for any repair)  

Andy

Edited by Rider1000

It might be the caliper has seized, but I think it more likely there is something jammed against the disc, such as a broken fragment of pad, a stone, or a broken spring clip. If so, it should be easy to remove if you have any tools with you.

14 minutes ago, cliffcoggin said:

It might be the caliper has seized, but I think it more likely there is something jammed against the disc, such as a broken fragment of pad, a stone, or a broken spring clip. If so, it should be easy to remove if you have any tools with you.

will be taking wheel off and checking for this... but somehow doubt it...but wont rule anything out.

• Solution
35 minutes ago, Rider1000 said:

will be taking wheel off and checking for this... but somehow doubt it...but wont rule anything out.

Hi its the calliper easy enough to replace and not to expensive, you will also need a new set of pads and a flexible hose as they collapse inside I had it on my car a few months ago.

Steve.

Hello Andrew,

If you are unable to get this looked at during your short stay, or don’t have the necessary tools to DIY the calliper replacement, then it might be effective to remove the pads and lever the piston back a bit - and repeat. Also check slider pins if possible. This might ease the problem enough for you to get home, and get it sorted properly.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

Hi just managed to get a local garage to diagnose and yes it is just the seized caliper. It only got hot on the bendy roads near my destination (ok on motorway) and thus seized entirely. I didnt have enough tools to any DIY repairs. Also as I drove it in the garage (only 1 mile from where i had stopped) there was a twang from the near side opposite side to the caliper and the spring had broken. Only now need the third thing to appear.

Thanks for the response everyone - appreciated.

• Like 1

Ahhh so unlucky while your away, you can bet that the other side wont be too far away either if that sides thrown in the towel, had the exact same thing happen with mine last year, fingers crossed its not cooked the disc aswell!, you'll know as it will judder lightly on braking.