Vcds and activating dormant functions

56Doc

Hi there, I recently found a partial list of very useful Vcds mods that activated some handy functions (like remote close for the rear lid) and many more. Since lost the link after my iPad needing restarting🤦🏻‍♂️

what I was looking for though was the bit about having foglights (all weather lights) on with sidelights. (I have foglights ready to fit, if I need to use them then I Really dont want to have the headlights on at the same time. Sort of defeats the object!

currently the fogs will only come on with headlights, so glad I’ve not needed them since buying the car.

Does anyone know of a full ‘how to’ last showing what changes are needed n Vcds to activate (or deactivate) various functions?

Also, has anyone found out how to activate android auto / apple car play. Apparently later A6 were fitted with the relevant MMI systems but those functions weren’t activated within Vcds unless the option was specified at build. 

all and any info gratefully received!

cheers All

Doc

I’ve thru the list of functions on Carista, no mention of figs with sidelights or car play.

anyone know if these are even available?

24 minutes ago, 56Doc said:

I’ve thru the list of functions on Carista, no mention of figs with sidelights or car play.

anyone know if these are even available?

What year is your car some dont come with it.

Couple of folks have said that Audi can activate if it was standard fit but not switched on from build/delivery. 
Not sure when they started fitting as standard, suspect it was much later.

43 minutes ago, 56Doc said:

Couple of folks have said that Audi can activate if it was standard fit but not switched on from build/delivery. 
Not sure when they started fitting as standard, suspect it was much later.

Yeah possibly seen alot of posts were its been activated and bricked mmi system so just be careful and do you research.

Mines 2013 so would need hardware.

I did buy this for my van delivered £40 android auto apple car place etc .

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mO5eQnE

Screenshot_20230517_092941_Gallery.thumb.jpg.9c01b59acb92371abaec557a6f58f587.jpg

Hmm, interesting. How long have you had it?

just that I’ve had bad experiences with the reliability of Chinese electronics before, so a bit wary.

cheers

Dave

I have a similar aged car and from memory audi will activate it for you if your car is newer than ours, I can't remember the exact year.  Even though your car has all the required hardware auidi won't activate it. It'll have to be a crack, plenty of people have done it but I haven't risked it. 

There is a long thread on a5oc about it. 

Thankyou.

couldn’t find the thread on a5oc but googled it and it seems it was from the next model/facelift in 2016 (article was written in April 2016, not sure when Audi released the facelift/next model).

The facelift was 2015, if assumed your car was, maybe yours isn't. Do you have two usb ports under the arm rest? Memory seats and rear aircon with vents in the b pillors and digital display in the rear? 

The power of at least some engines was increased as well e. G. My 3.0 tdi was - 240bhp and it went to 272

41 minutes ago, a6blacked007 said:

I assumed if you had x2 usb ports you had option available....

Agreed, unofficial options 😁

Ahh, that’s interesting, yes, that’s the spec on mine, I’ll try asking Audi then!

they do t make it easy do they.

thanks

No harm in trying but as I said I don't believe they will, they will do it on newer cars for £300 iirc. Let me know if they say yes 👍

There are well tried unofficial methods though

I will but what unofficial methods do you mean?

I haven’t seen a Vcds solution. 
(Course, that doesn’t mean there isn’t one, just that I haven’t found it!)

I'm guessing those prices are for fitting of a hardware box to add carplay. It can be done just by software, it's a hack. The thread on a5oc had details of a guy who could activate it remotely if you plug a laptop into your car.  I'm not sure but I think there is now a way of doing it by just plugging an sdcatd in which does it all. Not 100% on this though as I sort of lost interest in it. 

There are plenty of places that will do the software for you if you dont want to do either of those two methods though for a lot less than the hardware solution. Theree was something about the hardware so lotions which put me off them, others may be able to advise. 

Not sure on the rules of this forum re cracks/hacks etc hence tthe skirting around the topic somewhat. 

• 2 weeks later...

looks like there has been development into the activation now and it's a lot easier and now diy. Obviously still slightly risky that you could brick the mmi 

On 5/31/2023 at 8:59 AM, K3v said:

looks like there has been development into the activation now and it's a lot easier and now diy. Obviously still slightly risky that you could brick the mmi 

I purchased a map/system update which also unlocked the android auto and car play... Installed a little under week ago and works great, takes a bit of time but worth it as only £160, search "the nav man" on Google for a look. 

• Like 1