Audi a6 seat belt issue

jay1090

Hi,

I recently bought an Audi a6 2012. I was wondering if someone can help me with an issue.

The seat belt warning light and sound is active even when the seat belt is fastened. 

Thank you

6 hours ago, jay1090 said:

Hi,

I recently bought an Audi a6 2012. I was wondering if someone can help me with an issue.

The seat belt warning light and sound is active even when the seat belt is fastened. 

Thank you

Hi which side is it, either way its the bit that the belt plugs in to give it a blast wit contact cleaner whilst working the red plunger up and down then give it some WD40 if that won't work then chaste wire that runs down the side of it to the junction box under the seat unplug it and clean that with electrical cleaner, that should cure it if not its a new seatbelt stalk.

Steve.

1 hour ago, Magnet said:

Alternatively - the seat pressure pad -? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Much as as hate to point this out the pressure pad only works when the seatbelt is unplugged and the pad senses weight over two kilos, bag of shopping, when the belt pin is fastened this cancels out the pad sensor in the seat cushion and as the belt clip has overall command of the other functions in the seats electronics ie drivers side won't release the handbrake automatically unless the belt is plugged in.

Steve. 

Thanks Steve, 

That’s interesting since our now sagging - awaiting seat base replacement A3 - doesn’t give any seat  belt warning light lissue until a much heavier MOT tester sits in it once a year - at which point it does! 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

14 hours ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi which side is it, either way its the bit that the belt plugs in to give it a blast wit contact cleaner whilst working the red plunger up and down then give it some WD40 if that won't work then chaste wire that runs down the side of it to the junction box under the seat unplug it and clean that with electrical cleaner, that should cure it if not its a new seatbelt stalk.

Steve.

This would be my 1st port of call 

☝️☝️☝️☝️

• Like 1

On 5/18/2023 at 9:30 PM, Magnet said:

Thanks Steve, 

That’s interesting since our now sagging - awaiting seat base replacement A3 - doesn’t give any seat  belt warning light lissue until a much heavier MOT tester sits in it once a year - at which point it does! 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi precisely, it won't work in reverse and give a warning when there is no weight, you have to have weight on it to push the two contact layers together the bottom layer has the sensor wires in it the top layer contains the earth side which triggers the alarm and if its that saggy its like the bottom is running away from the top.

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the responses. I have noticed when I mess with the seat belt buckle the warming light turns off. So I'm assuming the cleaning or replacing buckle should solve the issue?

On 6/1/2023 at 5:38 PM, jay1090 said:

Thank you all for the responses. I have noticed when I mess with the seat belt buckle the warming light turns off. So I'm assuming the cleaning or replacing buckle should solve the issue?

Yea I'd say so. Had a similar issue on an old Volvo. 

On 5/20/2023 at 7:50 PM, Steve Q said:

Steve and Gareth, pub trivia I believe seatbelt warning won't sound when cars in reverse as it's not a legal requirement to wear a seatbelt when reversing 🤔

Hi they do now as of 2015, mine goes off if I have a passenger on the seat next to me whichever way I travel as they unclip it when I reverse on to their drive so you get the DINGING which drives me nuts and only stops if I have my foot on the brake.

Steve.

16 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi they do now as of 2015, mine goes off if I have a passenger on the seat next to me whichever way I travel as they unclip it when I reverse on to their drive so you get the DINGING which drives me nuts and only stops if I have my foot on the brake.

Steve.

Interesting. Mine doesn't on my ford Kuga 

On 6/5/2023 at 8:05 PM, Steve Q said:

Interesting. Mine doesn't on my ford Kuga 

Hi you said it, Ford which is a completely different animal as the thesis behind their build perception is that you are better off with more cabin gadgets that invariably break, thats why I ended up buying an Audi, lord knows they have their faults but basically are built to a high standard and from good quality parts, I had three Fords and a lot of miles out of them but the butchers bill for parts was astronomical, I changed my MAP-MAF and DPF sensors this week at 160k, both the MK4 Mondeos I had listed all three items every year.

Steve.