Replace Rear Brake Dust Plate

Pigsfoot

Hi, I have just replaced the rear brake disks and pads on my 2011 1.4 TFSi A1 and noticed the rear dust plate on the NS is loose and rattling around. I have ordered a replacement but for the life of me can't work out how to replace it, i'm presuming the wheel hub has to come off ??

Can anyone give me some pointers, if the wheel hub does have to come off how do you do that as it doesant seem obvious.

Thanks

6 minutes ago, Pigsfoot said:

Hi, I have just replaced the rear brake disks and pads on my 2011 1.4 TFSi A1 and noticed the rear dust plate on the NS is loose and rattling around. I have ordered a replacement but for the life of me can't work out how to replace it, i'm presuming the wheel hub has to come off ??

Can anyone give me some pointers, if the wheel hub does have to come off how do you do that as it doesant seem obvious.

Thanks

Hi normally you take off the disc and calliper with the calliper mounting, this then exposes the bearing and dust plate and the mounting screws are visible.

Steve.

Thanks @Stevey Y, that's what i thought originally but i have the disk and caliper removed at the moment. I can see the mounting bolts for the plate behind the hub and they seem pretty long as you can see the back of them. The gap between the hub and bolt head is to small to remove the bolt completely so no idea how you would get them out.

Only thing i can think of is as you undo the bolts the hub becomes loose and you have to undo each bolt as much as possible so you can pull the hub forward and then undo the bolts further.

Seems like a lot of work just to replace a dust plate?

I have attached a photo to show you, the caliper is just loosely attached at the moment so it doesn't hang off the pipes. I also pulled the dust plate off so i coudl see further as it was rusted through anyway.

brake-plate.jpg

As far as I’m aware Rod, the hub normally has to come off so that you can get at the mounting bolts and remove them completely. 
Looks like you are going to need some new mounting bolts as well. 
Pessimistic maybe, but removing the current ones could be a bit of a challenge for Releaseoil. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

27 minutes ago, Magnet said:

As far as I’m aware Rod, the hub normally has to come off so that you can get at the mounting bolts and remove them completely. 
Looks like you are going to need some new mounting bolts as well. 
Pessimistic maybe, but removing the current ones could be a bit of a challenge for Releaseoil. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Based on all the other bolts I have removed I would 100% agree Gareth, any idea on how to remove the hub though

i was quoted along with other things by audi £217.07p for a backplate on mine.so assuming not straight forward to remove like yours regards stephen

Many thanks Stephen,

I’m estimating £217 at Audi equates to no more than 1.5 hours, so probably not rated as a big job - with the right tools and no rusty bolts! 
Hello Rod, 

You be lucky to get away with removing hub without a good hub puller, but you could be lucky and it will tap off with a good non-metal mallet if ( in caps) you can get behind the flange. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

On 5/20/2023 at 8:03 PM, Pigsfoot said:

Thanks @Stevey Y, that's what i thought originally but i have the disk and caliper removed at the moment. I can see the mounting bolts for the plate behind the hub and they seem pretty long as you can see the back of them. The gap between the hub and bolt head is to small to remove the bolt completely so no idea how you would get them out.

Only thing i can think of is as you undo the bolts the hub becomes loose and you have to undo each bolt as much as possible so you can pull the hub forward and then undo the bolts further.

Seems like a lot of work just to replace a dust plate?

I have attached a photo to show you, the caliper is just loosely attached at the moment so it doesn't hang off the pipes. I also pulled the dust plate off so i coudl see further as it was rusted through anyway.

brake-plate.jpg

Hi the hub is a one piece unit get the speed sensor out and brush the crud off of the ends of the bolt threads and soak the threads with plus gas if you leave it for an hour it should penetrate use a good quality ring spanner and once loose work the bolts loose and then back and forth while hosing down the threaded bit with release agent, failing that heat the threaded end housing with a blowtorch then try, if you use a puller you will annihilate the bearing as they are pressed on to the hub at the factory, the bearing will follow the hub as it comes off.

Steve

• Like 1