8V Facelift, replacing D5S Xenon bulb

ADWalker

Go to solution Solved by ADWalker,

Hi Folks,  I have a 2016 (facelift) 8V Fastback and one Xenon bulb is failing (occasionally flickers and has a reduced output & greenish tinge to light).  I got a replacement D5S bulb and gained access to the rear of the light assembly be removing the wheelarch liner, there don't appear to be any retaining clips for the bulb (I eventually got the old one out by pulling hard and wiggling but I can't seem to get the new one seated properly (it just doesn't seem to be going all the way in), is there any 'trick' to this or any advice on how to fit the D5S bulb (these are NOT the same as the older D3S by the way - different mounting).  I have made sure that there are no wires trapped between the bulb and the mounting.

Has anyone actually swapped one of these bulbs?

1684750072659.jpg

1684750107607.jpg

1684750107620.jpg

Edited by ADWalker
Adding information (posted before complete).

8 hours ago, ADWalker said:

Hi Folks,  I have a 2016 (facelift) 8V Fastback and one Xenon bulb is failing (occasionally flickers and has a reduced output & greenish tinge to light).  I got a replacement D5S bulb and gained access to the rear of the light assembly be removing the wheelarch liner, there don't appear to be any retaining clips for the bulb (I eventually got the old one out by pulling hard and wiggling but I can't seem to get the new one seated properly (it just doesn't seem to be going all the way in), is there any 'trick' to this or any advice on how to fit the D5S bulb (these are NOT the same as the older D3S by the way - different mounting).  I have made sure that there are no wires trapped between the bulb and the mounting.

Has anyone actually swapped one of these bulbs?

1684750072659.jpg

1684750107607.jpg

1684750107620.jpg

Hi you offer up the bulb to the holder with the writing on the back of the bulb casing so you can read it then tilt the bulb casing about thirty degrees to the left then with light pressure toward the light unit twist the bulb in you should feel it locate in the mounting, when it does twist the bulb to its straight position, it should lock unless you bent something pulling it out, getting it out is the same only reversed.

Steve.

14 hours ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi you offer up the bulb to the holder with the writing on the back of the bulb casing so you can read it then tilt the bulb casing about thirty degrees to the left then with light pressure toward the light unit twist the bulb in...

Thank you very much for that info,  I will try that when I get a chance.

• 1 month later...
  • Solution

Pushing this lever upwards opens the three clips marked, pushing it down moves them back inwards to lock the bulb in place.

This is left-hand side (passenger) side, I haven't looked at drivers side since it involves wrestling the wheelarch liner out.

IMG_20230702_D5S.jpg

• Like 2