I need to know about A5 please

VicW

Hi, just put a deposit on 2012 A5 cabriolet with 63k on the clock and I have joined the Owners Club. I live between Windsor and Slough. This is my first A5 and I am not a car mechanic so what should I watch out for, please, as I have heard Audis can be unreliable and expensive ? So far it looks good and seems to drive well so I hope for many years and many miles of joyful fun.

Looking at local comments Audi main dealers seem to be as expensive as Merc dealers so where do you get your cars serviced and repaired when needed? I welcome your helpful comments please.

Hello Vic,

Thanks for joining. 
This is not going to be what you want to hear, so apologies for putting spokes in wheels. 
You need to research Audi’s high oil consumption issues which affected engines up to 2012 ( their attempt at using ‘skinny’ piston rings).

Your possible purchase maybe just after the issue, but may also be within it. Long story short, there doesn’t appear to be any economic solution to solve this. 
I appreciate you have placed your deposit and already fallen in love with it, and probably will have some guarantee with it, but do you really want the hassle?? 
Basic questions:- how long has the last owner owned it? Short ownership can equal issues. Have you checked the on-line MOT history for earlier points of failure or advisories? 
As I said Vic. -apologies, but it’s urgent homework time, and even more apologies if it turns out this engine isn’t affected - others on here will probably be far more familiar with a great in-depth knowledge, and will hopefully - for your sake correct me - but just beware. It’s better to lose a deposit than to be affected by it. 
Alternative:-look for a 2013 on model. 
If my information leads to a false alarm then I’m grovelling, but if the alarm is justified then at least you will be fore armed to make your decision.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

Wow that's a real bummer Gareth but thanks for the serious warning. How will I know if my engine suffered this issue please - it was first registered 27/07/2012?

Hello Vic.

You will need to Google ‘ Audi excessive oil consumption issue’ or similar. 
I believe most engines were affected around 2009? to 2012. 
I had initially thought to 2011, but I seem to recall 2012 may have come into it. 
Talk with a trusted Audi independent - they should be well clued up on the necessary detail. 
Safe is better than sorry, but let’s hope your intended purchase  post dates the issue, and my concern for you is not justified. 
Perhaps you could let us know how you get on. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I did Gareth after checking that its was a 2012 Facelift and thus no engine issues but thanks for the warning. So far it is great except for fuel consumption where I am getting high 20s mpg. Alas I have been spoilt by my family Skoda Karoq which gives is mid 40s!

• Like 2