Buy a 2007 A4, A6 Avant or later A6 2011 Avant pointers

JJ360

Hi

I have looked, however if you could direct me to a good relevant post on here or post you opinions, it would be most appreciated.  I currently have a 2006 A4 Avant and looking to change soon as all wings are going.  I Can reach up to 70mph on the work journey on a round trip 25 mile round, once a week 60 mile trip and once a month 250 mile trip on motorways.   Conscious of potential DPF issues on the later models, with my short trips, that's why considering a 2007, but then think the sensors/wiring is getting old now.

Only want to look at 2.0L tdi engines max with manual gear box for good fuel economy?, and read the 3.0L is a good buy.

Would like to go for the A6 range, so need a estate for bikes and surfboard and considering buying:

• A4 2007 with low mileage.
  • A6 C6 2011 with low mileage
  • A6 C6 2007 with low mileage.

Any pointers would be most appreciated.

Edited by JJ360

3.0tdi is a good engine. Look out for timing chain rattle and the injectors can have issues. 

There's also the 2.7tdi in the c6 you could consider which is similar to the 3.0tdi. 

Check service history. 

Also have a look at YouTube buyers guides. 

• Thanks 1

Many thanks for the reply, looking at the small engines I think for emissions, tax and fuel consumption.  Cheers 😀 

5 hours ago, JJ360 said:

Many Thanks, that's why I'm thinking a 2007 car again before the DPF's to last me two or three years.  😀 

Are you definitely sure it won't have a dpf for that year? 

• 3 weeks later...

I have had a 2011 C6 2.0tdi 170 le mans for 3 years now & its just passed 165k. Its due an oil & filter change but the exhaust tips are spotless, 100% cleaner than a petrol equivalent.  Straight through all 3 MOT's. Advisory on the front discs on the last one which have been changed.  No complaints from me...

Cheers for the reply, yep brought similar last week 2011 2.0tdi 170bhp with 125k on the clock.  Fingers crossed and I will try and maintain based on the schedule.

I need to read up on changing the tuner for a digital version.

The only let down is the sound system... no dab & no way of connecting a phone to play music.  Other than that I'm happy... they are one of the nicest looking saloons on the road... imo & the boot is ridiculously spacious..   

• 7 months later...

I've been looking at trying to get info on DPF's & how they work on the 2.0 170 tdi. Where they are in relation to the engine & if anyone has any experience with issues but I have had very little to no joy. 

All the issues seem to be with the C7.

I've recently changed jobs & I'm doing more miles in my C6. I've noticed a couple of regens recently, no lights, just a change in engine tone & the fan coming on. I have the service book but no owners manual so I have no idea what advice is given by Audi regarding driving style etc. I try to coast on the downhill stretches on motorways & longer journeys & I don't high rev when driving in general. It would be good if more C6 diesel drivers chipped in.