Why do we Love our Audi's?

Glen

I don't get too het up over whether a car is a "driver's car" or not.  My Audi is quick enough for me, comfortable, good-looking and holds its value better than the alternatives I can afford.  It also has a good selection of toys that make it more desirable than a lot of others.

Although I think Audi could do more to stop rain from the roof dripping into an open window or door.  Those ridiculously small rain channels are pathetic compared with the ones on my wife's Fiesta.

I do understand that 99% of the time the car is fine, not wonderful but ok a reasonable place to be, I personally do not need most of the bells and whistles , most are fairly useless in real life.

I see the Audi come out pretty poorly in all off the current crop of 2013 Reliabiliy Surveys , certianly the high 20's and 31 in at least one, which is to say the least pretty poor, especially when you consider much of the French crap that creaps in above Audi!!! Mind you their VAG stable mates Skoda do fairly well , Its Honda , Toyota , Subaru and Skoda that seem to do best.

The bells and whistles on mine are: full leather seats (great for spills from the kids), heated seats (great for cold mornings), storage pack (great for all my junk), auto lights (great for tunnels and underpasses) auto wipers (great for rain in gusty wind), sat nav (great for getting places I've not been to before), heated door mirrors (another great for cold mornings), privacy glass (great for hot sunny days and for hiding stuff that passengers leave on the rear seats), Bluetooth (great for hands-free phone calls), electric lumbar support (great for my dodgy back), interior light pack (great for dark mornings and evenings) and voice control (great for a laugh).

So I'm afraid I have to disagree with you over how useful or useless they are.

Perhaps you should have taken the Audi for a longer test drive before you bought it? And read the last few years' JD Power survey results?

The bells and whistles on mine are: full leather seats (great for spills from the kids), heated seats (great for cold mornings), storage pack (great for all my junk), auto lights (great for tunnels and underpasses) auto wipers (great for rain in gusty wind), sat nav (great for getting places I've not been to before), heated door mirrors (another great for cold mornings), privacy glass (great for hot sunny days and for hiding stuff that passengers leave on the rear seats), Bluetooth (great for hands-free phone calls), electric lumbar support (great for my dodgy back), interior light pack (great for dark mornings and evenings) and voice control (great for a laugh).

So I'm afraid I have to disagree with you over how useful or useless they are.

Perhaps you should have taken the Audi for a longer test drive before you bought it? And read the last few years' JD Power survey results?

Sounds like you have a great example of an A3 there! Some nice features!  :)

Thanks AOC, that's very kind of you!

I was spoilt by my last motor and wasn't going to settle for a lower spec when I got rid of it.  This Audi has a few other features like auto-dimming mirrors and tyre pressure monitoring, but as these just get on with the job without any input from me, I don't really consider them as "toys".  The Driver Info System is really good, showing the route immediately ahead when the sat nav is running.

Have read the surveys hence my comments. Audi is 31st in 2013 poor to say the least as it is 27 with Warranty Direct , could be worse you could have a landrover !

The car is fine 

I dont have heated seats , they are leather , and no kids or pets to get them mucky, I can do that all on my own LOL

My junk is in the boot 

Never leave anything vaulable in the car , nothing will stop a naughty boy with an auto center punch 

Blue tooth is fine, although some times current phone has bluetoth problems not Audi's fault 

Voice control seems to work ok, especillay seems to like the wifes voice 

Headlight Auto seems to work ok, although down a lane the other week end they didnt turn on where i normally always turn the lights on, so did it manually other wise ok

Auto windcreen wipers bit hit and miss , often over ride manually

Sat Nav , its crap in central london , tried it 3 times , but then been in other cars with sat nav none of which have a clue how to nav London. So I am back to A to Z for the occasionaly glance to find a specific location for the last 1/2 mile. It most likely works ok for those unfamilar with London. Other than that had no reason to use it. 

Radio works ok even DAB which actually works outside our house where even FM struggles normally. 

Technik does not have any form of adjustable Lumbar Support , but the standard seats are fine for me  

I would rather have the ability to turn all the displays off easily, I know you can but that is not straight forward, and leave the bare min of info displayed after all there is some concern that Sat Nav for instance is as distracting as a Phone, as indeed a handsfree is.

Many of my comments could be directed to 99%percent of new cars on the road  

There is not a Honda availabe in this country I would currently consider there all crap. Jazz build quality has gone down the tube. 

A car i do like is the Toyoberu GT86, chassis designed and tuned for the driver , just lacks a tad in the power stakes, but i know a few  people with them who find them a real hoot to drive , perfectly balanced . Porker Caymen is good , and the Lotus Avora is a peach by all accounts, but of course its likely to be "Lots of trouble usually serious !"

As for the choice of a mundane car for the day job , yes I wish I had had one for 24 hours , both the BMW and Audi , maybe should have considered a MB as well but far more costly to lease and the BIK is higher. I find the exterior of current MB's austentatious and the new A class has been panned for its ride and handling. 

Mazda  6 is widely prasied, but the BIK is high 

Didnt find any of the Hybreds partulary atractive in any way

I am sure I will get the Audi sorted , in reality its just the stop start that really bugs me, the parking brake I get the feeling is hear to stay and will creap into all cars as the average buyer wants all those nice little gizmos to play with, and sod the pure driving experiance.

Try roof down . on a sunny day or chilly evening , changing gear at 9000rpm feelng the rear end squirm as you hit the rev limiter out of a 2nd gear corner feeling the stering alive and responding to the slightest inputs and you will know what i mean. It makes you feel alive !!!!

Whether or not the Jazz has good build quality, it really looks like a 4-seat mobility scooter. Your S2000 is one of the best-lookers they made. 

The MX-5 is meant to be fun to drive, but underpowered like the GT86.  A guy at the last place I worked had a Fiat Barchetta for sunny days and he loved it.  Fun but a bit slow again.

It's good to hear that you're mostly OK with your Audi - it did sound like you were seriously unhappy with it but maybe I just misread your posts.  

I've heard that the electric handbrake is to reduce weight, which helps reduce emissions.  

I've had loads of fun go-karting: a wet track really sorts out the men from the boys!  I'll have to see how many revs I can get out of the A3 when the Mrs isn't with me...   :D

Te Jazz does what it says on the tin , without fuss. Its a tool to do a job and does it well , its never going to worry Pininfarina. A five seat scooter thats works and in the real world returns 48 mpg on cheap unleaded. I have no idea what the S does I am sure i can get it down to 12 or 13 mpg but most likley around 260 miles per tank full of 98-99 octane, or about 26 mpg.

MX5 is fantastic a loverly rear wheel drive sports car , its what the MGB should have become had some one had some forsight in BL 

The Fiat is hampered by a front wheel drive chassis, there has only been one front drive car that really worked out to date but that had to be driven hard to appreciate it , in normal tiddling around it was distinctly lack lustre. 

I believe there is only one other production car that revs to 9000 rpm , its a red one , the F20C in the S2000 has only just been eclipsed as far as horsepower per litre  NA is concerned and thats a red car. 120BHP per litre normally aspirated , not so long ago the preserve of a pure racing engine. They do have to nasty habbit of throwing rods through the block if not looked after! Quite harsh and noisy too. So maybe not expect your A3 to get any where near 9000 rpm . The S gets there virtually every drive and often bounces of the rev limiter at 9400rpm , oh boy does it make the hairs on ur neck stand up.

Bolt a turbo or super charger on and 450bhp is easy without any internal changes, one guy in the UK is currently expecting to exceed  900bhp from a fully re-built engine still using an OEM block and there are several like this in the US.

The Audi is ok , its just this irritating SS system really and the parking brake, sort these and it would be a good car , not exceptional , but good, and certianly would make me happy for work and the mundane driving of necessity.

And I suppose I am a bit more pragmatic than the average person found in an Audi forum ! as indeed i can be on SKI from time to time, LOL mention rust over there and its like they have turned the hearing aids off , deathly silence. oh and dont forget the dreaded Suspension adjuster bolts , and the crap brake calipers that seize, and timing chain tensioners that rattle, con rod faiures , dropped valves , and clutch buzz to mention just a few minor niggles!!! I have never actually been in love with the look of the S , its functional but from some angles looks a bit like a dogs breakfast. Engine and gear box are beyound compare.  The  thing about the S was it used parts designed and made for it and no other car , engine , gear box , chassis, suspension interior ( instrument cluster and steering wheel are parts bin bits ) the diff is apparently used in a Kia 4x4 and the MX5 , you can get crown wheel and pinions from these to change the final drive ratio. Its no parts bin special , I could mention several , but that would set the cat amoung the pidgeons here!

LOL, I got my A3 down to 9.3 mpg at one point!  I can get about 42 mpg on a run and just about do 30 mpg on my 2.5-mile commute, but that's doing the "Driving Miss Daisy" style for sure.

Honda did make one really good-looking car, the Mk4 Prelude.

post-1420-0-81095700-1383124966.jpg

Earlier marks were rather plain and the replacement was just plain ugly with its oversize headlights.

The Mk1 CRX was a cheeky looker as well, before they replaced it with the mid-engined version.  

post-1420-0-27055100-1383124985.jpg

Speaking of the mid-engined one, how about this for mods:-   :D

post-1420-0-06894900-1383124999_thumb.jp

Love the R2D2 mock-up but I don't think those side-mounted pulse cannon are going to pass the MOT!!!

I'm not getting the A3 anywhere near 9000 rpm, I want to protect my investment.  I think 5000 will do for me.

I've gone off messing with the oily bits these days.  I have had the engine out of my first mini to change the main bearings then had to do a roadside head gasket change because I stupidly replaced the original bypass hose with a flexi easy-change version that later failed.  I've helped my mates with replacing an MG Midget gearbox, getting an old Austin Healey 3000 started that had been sitting in a barn for years, and other messy but fun projects.  When I found myself underneath my Mondeo struggling to bolt the decat pipe to the dodgy thread in the bracket on the gearbox, I finally thought, "I'm getting too old for this."  Of course, if it's a hobby car instead of my daily transport, that may be another matter.

For me, it's not the reliability as Ive only had it 18 months now and it's had a few issues. It's not the power, as it doesn't have any. I bought it to shut the wife up as she kept nagging for a newer car. However, I do like the look of it. It feels pretty solid and it's quite comfortable.

• 1 month later...

Just been checking reliability of a cars following a discussion about which cars are good at the moment , Warranty direct , Honda Jazz No1 , Audi do not feature in the top 100!! not very good is it 

Also not considered to be very good in Sweden !

Went through Dartford Tunnel yesterday , found anothe  egonomic error , coin slots to small for a £1 coin , and I therefore presume a 1 euro , how basic an error is that !

The MMI controls are in totally the wrong place 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I've an 04 A4 2.5tdi Quattro sport. No real issues other than faulty ECU which was eventually replaced by Audi under warranty however I had to fight with garage I bought it from as they wouldn't pay as it run out of warranty while Audi had it but that's another very long story. Upgraded to bigger OEM wheels (18"), fitting cruise control, centre armrest and after market Veyron multimedia system which allows me to use my phone to play music thru it and also have satnav on at same time. Saves on battery life of phone if nothing else. Any mods I've done are down to car not having anywhere near the same spec as my previous C class MB however with it now being ten years old with over 100k miles on it the drive experience is still fantastic compared to the MB which was becoming very loose on the front end. Certainly not as expensive for OEM parts or servicing as MB and hopefully good for another 100k miles. Would certainly consider an A5 2 or 3 ltr coupe Quattro black edition tho, they seem particularly fetching so maybe change to one of them next year.

• 3 weeks later...

Audi 80, 210K+ on the odometer, regularly serviced and doesn't miss a beat.

I bought this car some years ago for the princely sum of £500 and have not regretted it at all. It's my 'daily drive' and I have treated it (her... am I allowed to be gender specific..?) to several new parts to improve performance and driveability over the years and she is now what the youngsters call a 'Street-Sleeper' or 'Q car'.

But like so many others before me, I love the solid feel, willing 1781c.c. motor and the simplicity of maintenance. With the knowledge of VAG behind me, I know that spares will be (relatively) straight forward to get and some part are interchangeable between models. There's always loads of folks on the inter-web that carry GOOD QUALITY spare parts, and that keep my 80 on the road.

23 years old and not a spot of corrosion...... Love her to bits... (sounds like an ideal wife...!)

RickS   

• Like 1

I have an Ibis White 2013 A4 Black Edition which IMHO looks spot on (inside and out).

Coming from a 450bhp Impreza was always going to be a shock with the serious loss of power but the shear comfort, looks and electronics completely outway that fact... :-)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I love my Audi A8, it's 12 years old and still performs as I would expect another newer car in the middle of the road bracket, the secret I believe is to find a good garage not main dealer, build a good relationship with him, and he will look after you, I went to Scotland for nine days 70-80 mph on motorways and cruise anywhere else the returns was 31.8 mpg overall marvellous. shop around for parts, it's surprising, how cheap you can things for. To use the old Jaguar adage, Space,Grace and Pace.

Happy Audi driving

ps and other cars stop to let you pull out

regards Andy 

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...