MMI AMI USB CAPABILITY

Hi, I'm hoping someone else has encountered this problem!

I've recently purchased the 2008 Model A5. Came with the MMI system but doesn't allow USB/SD capabilities. It features AUX under the arm rest but I've never been a fan of AUX and the fact I can't control this through the car.

Is there any way of connecting a wire to the MMI system from behind or something that can allow me to install a USB cable. I have heard there is a CDC port at the back of this, so what can be done with this?

Also, does the MMI have a built in hard drive that I can tap into? How do I store music on this and how can I then have access to it?

Hope you can help!

Hi Dilz19

You can not connect a standard 'wire' into the MMI system.  The early MMI system uses an optical data connection known as MOST to connect the amplifier, radio and navigation in the boot with the CD changer and MMI driver behind the dash.  Are you sure your car has a full MMI system (with navigation and controls near the gear leaver) or a radio 'Concert/Symphony' system (no Nav, buttons and single CD player in the centre stack).

If you do have the full MMI system, you will require a device known as a Gateway 500 by a company called Dension to allow you to attach iPod, stream via Bluetooth etc.  this device connects to the MOST bus along with the other control units in the MMI.  They produce different versions depending upon your requirements:  

http://www.dension.com/product/iPod-iPhone-car-adapters/iPod-car-kits/bluetooth-car-kits/gateway-500

Hope this helps, 

Tech

• 1 month later...

That's interesting, How do I tell if my MMI system is a full one or not. It has a single CD player in glove box, but does have buttons for CD/TV, Nav, radio. but when you choose Nav, it comes up on the screen, " nav not connected" or similar.  mines a 54 plate A6 Quattro Sline, and the screen is MMI system and the writing is all in red. I also wish to fit an Ipod  connection. Thanks

666, you have a full MMI system because the A6 only came with full MMI, however, you have the low-line monochrome screen version.  You can still fit an ipod connection using the gateway systems mentioned above

Tech