Hi All,

I am new to posting I usually just lurk and soak up knowledge from others... but today I am so dissapointed about my latest Audi A3 from The Carshop in Swindon I need reassurance I am still safe to drive it.

I bought my A3 as a returning customer to Carshop, I had a 2009 Audi in grey previously from them which I PX'd for a 2010 in Red.

It is a lovely car just like my 2009 model but has 6 gears instead of 5.

It has jumped out of gear on but only  on seven or so occasions and only in low gears probably 1st pulling away or 2nd turning right over the past 3 months.

I assumed initially it was my inexperience of having 6 instead of 5 gears but as it continued to randomly pop out of gear into the second month of owning it, and when I actually saw the gear knob jump from the corner of my eye I reported it to Carshop within their 3 month warranty period. My problem is that it will not replicate the fault to order and they have 'looked' at it twice now and say it is afe to drive and no apparant fault.

I am not happy and despite them saying wait till it develops a more serious fault we cannot do anything.

I have also had my time wasted driving miles from Abingdon to Swindon twice now to have them look at it.

I did ring and ask a gearbox mechanic his advice and he said it was most probably something inside the gearbox and looking at it externally would not show anything.

I have complained to them but this is their response.car shop reply Miss Woodward.doc

Hi Heathercoral, 

There are a number of things that can cause a gear selector to jump out of gear as you have described.  Firstly, worn engine and gearbox mountings (these are external to the gearbox and easily accessible for a Technician or Mechanic).  Secondly, incorrectly adjusted gear linkage cables can cause a similar problem (again these are external to the gearbox).  Thirdly internal components such as worn selector forks and syncro hubs can be a problem, these are internal to the gearbox and require the gearbox removing and dismantling in order to access.  All three scenarios are very rare on Audis to be honest but not by any means impossible.  

I can only assume their mechanics have already checked the first two items.  

Can you get the car to replicate the fault if you try driving it in a certain manner, like allowing the clutch to bite a bit more suddenly than usual for example?  You also mentioned that the problem happens when using first and second gear, are you sure it is both gears and not just one of the two?

Seeing as your car is a 2010 model, is it actually out of its three year/60000 mile Audi warranty period yet?  If not, it would be best to let Audi take a look.

Tech