A3 Quattro 2.0T......Gearbox Thud at crawling speeds??

jonny127

Hi guys!

I have a 54 plate A3 Quattro 2.0T and I've had it for a few months now.

At crawling speeds it makes a clearly audible thud when moving off, and feels the same as when your handbrake might stick (Its not the brakes as i've checked those .This wasnt much of a problem until it began to get worse (more knocking noises). I suspect that its a loose driveshaft connection and is just taking up the torque.

A month or so after i bought it it developed a misfire so took it back to the dealer who fixed it under warranty. the procedure for removing the head somehow involved removing most of the 4WD system and gearbox etc and a week after i got it back it developed the above noise, and so naturally i suspec that that may have been the cause.

My question to you lot is whether any of you have experienced such a noise, and what did you do to fix it?

Many thanks!

So having driven on it for a few days it appears to be of an inner cv joint nature I think and has gotten even worse!

It almost sounds as though some bearings need some grease and it makes the noise a lot worse when parking and turn the wheel a lot at low speeds.

Has anyone else experienced a similar situation?