Water leaking into Drivers footwell!!

AudiRulez

Hi all.

me4moG5.jpg

I need some help looking for possible causes of this leak.  This happened over the weekend I assume as I only noticed it on Monday.  The car was not driven over the weekend and after rain the past couple days it's getting wetter.

The car is a 2004 Audi A6 1.9 TDI SE

The battery compartment appears to drain ok

Here is a picture of the pedal area, I've highlighted in blue the areas which are wet/damp the more blue there is the wetter it is.

WvcSQMd.jpg

Underneath the bonnet, there is this area which was full of gunk and dead leaves, which I attacked with a hoover:
2IY6Shl.jpg
XxlhkeX.jpg

It was a lot worse than those pictures before.  This is apparently the bonnet release cable, filling this area with water, it did take a while to drain off, however after hovering it as best as I could, it seems to flow fine now.  Water is still finding it's way into the car though.

Is there any other likely things I can check?  It's defiantly water from outside the car as it's only wetter / worse after it's been raining.

Many thanks!

I found a blocked drainage hole, which wasn't much water there but that's now unblocked but I'm still getting water inside the car.  I've tracked it to this bit here:

ZvmfV4Bl.jpg

Does anyone know what it is?

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem with my A8 when I first had it, simple fault was the air con drain pipe was blocked, my mechanic fixed it in a few minutes, no problems afterwards, just keep using the air con, hope this might help.

Regards Andy

• 4 months later...

Had the same problem with a 2007 A6 Avant, wet driver's footwell. Car completely cut off on a busy road, just died, steering locked, etc. Local dealer took 5 weeks to figure out the issue and fix it. New battery, new engine bay harness, and then finally two new injectors, ~£3K of work.  Sunroof drains were blocked, and this caused corrosion.  I believe this is a bad design fault by Audi, as this should not happen.  Unblocking the sunrood drains is the solution but clearly was too late for my car.  There is no warning from Audi that sunroof drains can get blocked up and cause so much damage.  unblocking them is not part of a regular service.  Audi should change the design and make the sunroof part of the regular service items.

I'm now out of pocket and Audi say there is nothing further to be done.  There are many forums where this exact issue is written about, but this was a new item for my local Audi Dealer, and sounds like Audi UK have not come across it before. One forum story says Audi US paid full costs!

Had the same problem with a 2007 A6 Avant, wet driver's footwell. Car completely cut off on a busy road, just died, steering locked, etc. Local dealer took 5 weeks to figure out the issue and fix it. New battery, new engine bay harness, and then finally two new injectors, ~£3K of work.  Sunroof drains were blocked, and this caused corrosion.  I believe this is a bad design fault by Audi, as this should not happen.  Unblocking the sunrood drains is the solution but clearly was too late for my car.  There is no warning from Audi that sunroof drains can get blocked up and cause so much damage.  unblocking them is not part of a regular service.  Audi should change the design and make the sunroof part of the regular service items.

I'm now out of pocket and Audi say there is nothing further to be done.  There are many forums where this exact issue is written about, but this was a new item for my local Audi Dealer, and sounds like Audi UK have not come across it before. One forum story says Audi US paid full costs!

It's amazing that sunroofs are still causing problems after all these years. It used to always be the old French cars but I guess if that drain is blocked what can you do...

• 5 years later...

Hi, I have an Audi A6 C5 2002 Avant (2.5 TDI - CVT automatic).

Passenger Front footwell flooded.

Central locking not working.

Gearbox jerky.

I took out battery, battery plate and cleared all the gunk underneath. However I don't think it was that.

Rain water drains off the roof, down the windscreen and then is supposed to run over a plastic shroud which redirects the water to each wing, where it drains away back underneath the middle of the windscreen. However, with mine the windscreen was no longer attached, by glue, to the plastic shroud/shielding. So water flowed straight down the windscreen into the cabin air filter (which sits under the windscreen). From there the water runs straight down into the front foot well. So, it wasn't blocked drains which garages have charged thousands to fix. It's that the windscreen needs gluing back onto the plastic! That's it!

I've temporarily sealed it and it seems to have stopped the flooding. I hope it fixes that at least. Seems like a small victory!

I think the central locking broke as the unit may have also flooded. The control unit for the transmission is also under the passenger seat!

From what I've read the central locking and transmission may be knackered so I'll have to turn to that another day.

I what I've found helps someone.

• 1 month later...