Oil Problems - A3 1.8TFSI (Petrol)

Alcatraz
聽Share

7 hours ago, seagulls98 said:

Audi have told me to take it in the local audi garage and theyll have a look free of charge and see what they thinks wrong.

That's good then, keep us posted on how you get on 馃憤

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

bellemareplage@ yahoo.com

On 6/9/2020 at 9:53 AM, seagulls98 said:

So yeah i took it back to the dealer i bought it from, they've said theyll cover the cost of finding the problem and anything after that i will have to pay for. Im going to go pick it up ASAP and get a friend (mechanic) to take off the turbo/check that is indeed the fault. As said will also give audi a call and see what they say. Will keep you guys posted. Thanks again! Alfie.

I have the same problem wth my car. Audi a3 1.8TFSI / 2011. Apparently, after researching frm various Audi mechanics, it's the piston rings tht are faulty. N to get to the rings, it's a monumental job apparently. It seems that once dismantled , quite a few parts will need renewing . I hve contacted Audi dealership, but they've remanined silent so far. It is definitely a manufacturing fault, which they are trying to dismiss. I believed around 2015, quite of these 1.8/2.0 TFSI engines were recalled n though repaired by Audi dealership, the cars weren't doing so good because apparently the neccessary job weren't done. Has anyone repaired an engine n knows whts involved. My email address is : bellemareplage@yahoo.com. Will appreciate any feed back. Thx u .

• 5 months later...

Hi guys聽

I have an聽A3 2011 1.8tfsi s line edition. Reading the thread I have similar problems burning oil聽however I noticed no one has mentioned a misfire issue. Has anyone had a misfire?聽聽Carried out a compression test which was good and had the walnut cleaning around the valves to remove carbon.聽The car ran well for about 200k. Then back to the same problem. I replaced the pcv valve but still facing the same issue. The misfire moves from cyclinder to cylinder with聽carbon build on the plug and eventually wet with oil that it won鈥檛 fire. Anyone had similar issues and managed to get to the bottom of it would be much appreciated to hear from you.聽

Thanks Chris聽

Hello Chris,

My primary concern would be to know how much oil this car is actually burning, since it appears that it is sufficient to oil up the plugs.聽
What is its oil consumption Chris?聽
Kind regards,

Gareth.聽

Hi magnet聽

I had it serviced recently,聽so from full I got approximately 400ks before the light came on. Again Ive replaced the plugs across each cylinder once in that time. I removed the pcv pipe feeding the inlet manifold and closed it off (on the manifold side)聽聽which did help,聽but again there鈥檚 oil residue getting in somewhere. I removed the intercooling pipe just below the throttle body and noticed some oil coating.聽But before stripping down and checking the oil level at the intercooler is it worth my time and money.聽I鈥檓 starting to lean towards a leak down test also.聽I haven鈥檛 ruled out valve stem seals but there鈥檚 no sign of smoking on starting. Now and again there is signs of moisture from the exhaust black in texture however not oil based. Proving hard to diagnose with the issues provided. Have you any advice on聽this?聽

Cheers聽

Chris聽

Chris. To amplify Gareth's comments, it is the oil consumption you should be concerned with, not the misfire. The misfire is merely a consequence of the plugs oiling up as a result of the enormous oil usage. Cure the oil consumption, and the misfire will disappear.

• 1 year later...

I have a 60 plate Audi A3 1.8 Tfsi, I鈥檝e had it around 4 months now.聽
The engine management light has been on since I bought it, it鈥檚 had a full service once I got it with the correct oil and filters etc.
The engine management light is still on.聽
The car is a bit lumpy when first started but runs absolutely fine after 30 seconds.
The only real issue I can see is I鈥檓 having to put 2 ltrs of oil in every 300 miles!! That can鈥檛 be normal right?聽

Any suggestions as what the problem might be or how to solve it?

Reading these posts, I contacted my local Audi dealer and they did a quick reg check and said there were no known faults or recalls on this car.聽

What should be my next step?聽

I can鈥檛 afford to do major work on the car as it鈥檚 only worth 3-4K聽

did anyone have any luck down the solicitors route with the no win no fee thing?聽

thanks

Hello James,

Thanks for joining, and sorry to hear of your oil consumption issue of around 70 miles to the pint - in old English. I fear all the information you need will be in the earlier posts, and unfortunately it does not make good reading. Without reading back over the posts, my memory points to Audi now washing their hands of this issue where the vehicle is over 10years old ( please check) so any redress/ goodwill doesn鈥檛 exist any longer-?聽

Let鈥檚 hope someone can answer your last question, but follow-ups can be rare on this, and other forums.聽
Apologies for the pessimism, but it sounds as if you would be wise to cut your losses at this stage and dispose of the car without further loss.聽
Almost certain to be too late now - 4 months on from purchase - but why did you buy a car with the EML on, and why has it taken you so long to discover it鈥檚 consuming oil at the rate of c70 miles/pint? 聽If both these issues had been addressed much earlier, then you might have had some redress against the seller - particularly if bought from a trader.

Kind regards,

Gareth.聽

James.

Your engine was notorious for a few years for consuming an enormous amount of oil. The solution was a total engine rebuild with redesigned parts, which Audi only reluctantly and after much pressure from owners was its responsibility.

However, having done nothing about the oil warnings in the four months since you bought the car you have effectively accepted the car as adequate, so I fear your chances of any recourse from either Audi or the seller are pretty much zero.

I suggest your best option is to swallow the bitter pill by scrapping the car and buying something else. Incidentally I reckon it聽is only worth about 拢1200, not the 拢3000-4000 you believe, if you can find a gullible private buyer for it, though that would be pretty mean. A knowledgable dealer will not touch it because of the known engine fault.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/8/2023 at 3:43 PM, Mightyjimbob said:

I have a 60 plate Audi A3 1.8 Tfsi, I鈥檝e had it around 4 months now.聽
The engine management light has been on since I bought it, it鈥檚 had a full service once I got it with the correct oil and filters etc.
The engine management light is still on.聽
The car is a bit lumpy when first started but runs absolutely fine after 30 seconds.
The only real issue I can see is I鈥檓 having to put 2 ltrs of oil in every 300 miles!! That can鈥檛 be normal right?聽

Any suggestions as what the problem might be or how to solve it?

Reading these posts, I contacted my local Audi dealer and they did a quick reg check and said there were no known faults or recalls on this car.聽

What should be my next step?聽

I can鈥檛 afford to do major work on the car as it鈥檚 only worth 3-4K聽

did anyone have any luck down the solicitors route with the no win no fee thing?聽

thanks

Hi JimBob,

I've got exactly the same problem on an A3 1.8tfsi 2010 I bought in good faith last September. Although now I've got the very quickly wrecked spark plugs too!聽 Love to know what happened to your A3?! Thanks Joe

On 6/12/2021 at 9:53 AM, Chris1993 said:

Hi magnet聽

I had it serviced recently,聽so from full I got approximately 400ks before the light came on. Again Ive replaced the plugs across each cylinder once in that time. I removed the pcv pipe feeding the inlet manifold and closed it off (on the manifold side)聽聽which did help,聽but again there鈥檚 oil residue getting in somewhere. I removed the intercooling pipe just below the throttle body and noticed some oil coating.聽But before stripping down and checking the oil level at the intercooler is it worth my time and money.聽I鈥檓 starting to lean towards a leak down test also.聽I haven鈥檛 ruled out valve stem seals but there鈥檚 no sign of smoking on starting. Now and again there is signs of moisture from the exhaust black in texture however not oil based. Proving hard to diagnose with the issues provided. Have you any advice on聽this?聽

Cheers聽

Chris聽

Hi Chris

I've got exactly the same problem on an A3 1.8tfsi 2010 I bought in good faith last September. Although now I've got the very quickly wrecked spark plugs too!聽 Love to know what happened to your A3?! Thanks Joe

On 1/1/2021 at 1:32 PM, Robindass said:

bellemareplage@ yahoo.com

I have the same problem wth my car. Audi a3 1.8TFSI / 2011. Apparently, after researching frm various Audi mechanics, it's the piston rings tht are faulty. N to get to the rings, it's a monumental job apparently. It seems that once dismantled , quite a few parts will need renewing . I hve contacted Audi dealership, but they've remanined silent so far. It is definitely a manufacturing fault, which they are trying to dismiss. I believed around 2015, quite of these 1.8/2.0 TFSI engines were recalled n though repaired by Audi dealership, the cars weren't doing so good because apparently the neccessary job weren't done. Has anyone repaired an engine n knows whts involved. My email address is : bellemareplage@yahoo.com. Will appreciate any feed back. Thx u .

Hi ,

17 hours ago, Joey3000 said:

Love to know what happened to your A3?!

So would we, but like so many who visit the forum for advice he could not be bothered to let us know the outcome. Too idle or too ill-mannered to make the effort I suppose.

• 6 months later...

Similar issues here with my 1.8T 2009. Noticeable oil consumption and then the misfires with failing spark plugs. Been told by an independent that compression is actually ok but the car is 'breathing heavily'. PCV valve's been replaced. Awaiting further investigation, but not feeling very optimistic gievn the frequency of this issue and the dreaded piston rings聽馃槥

• Like 1