New automatic gearbox required at 24k miles

AudiA3Auto

Hello.  I have a 58 plate Audi A3 1.8 automatic.  It's making a grinding noise as I'm driving.  Audi have taken a sample of the gearbox oil and found metal shavings in it.  Their solution is a £4000 odd gearbox change.

The car has been very well driven and has only done 24,000 miles.

It's not under any warranty.

Any advice - surely this can't be right....

Thanks for the link - hopefully may help someone.  Mine though is a 7 speed s-tronic.

I'm still waiting to hear from customer services.  The July 14 recall was to change the gearbox oil from synthetic to mineral.  What I'm thinking is that this mineral oil is isn't giving the lubrication and so the gears have worn out.  If that's the case, and they acknowledge this, then surely they'd have to replace the gearbox for free....

Fair enough, also found this while digging around....

It's VW but may also apply to some Audi vehicles. May be worth mentioning I guess!

Subject: Warranty Extension for Certain 2007 – 2010 Model Year
Volkswagen Vehicles Equipped with a DSG Transmission
NEW POLICY
Volkswagen has extended the warranty that covers the DSG gearbox transmission in certain 2007 – 2010 model year Volkswagen vehicles to ten (10) years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the
vehicle's original in-service date.
The vehicle's original in-service date is defined as the date the vehicle was delivered to either the original purchaser or the original lessee; or if the vehicle was first placed in service as a "demonstrator" or "company" car, on the date such vehicle was first placed in service.
AFFECTED VEHICLES
This warranty extension covers the following model year 2007 – 2010 Volkswagen vehicles equipped with a DSG transmission AND with a production date from February 19, 2007 through August 6, 2009: Eos, GTI, R32, Jetta, Jetta SportWagen, Passat Wagon, CC.
WARRANTY EXTENSION COVERAGE
This warranty extension covers only the diagnosis and repair of the DSG transmission.
This warranty extension will not cover any damage or malfunctions caused by outside influence, such as damage due to an accident, vehicle misuse or neglect, or storm damage. These conditions may require repairs that are needed for proper diagnosis of the underlying condition. Any repairs that are (1) necessary for proper diagnosis of these other conditions or (2) required to bring the vehicle up to factory
specifications are not covered by this warranty extension. Additionally, the DSG transmission in the vehicle must have been maintained in accordance with the maintenance requirements found in the vehicle owner’s manual. Any malfunctions of non-transmission electrical and mechanical components remain covered by the normal terms of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
This warranty extension is fully transferable to subsequent owners.
  • Like 1