Towbar for a 2015 Q7 ??

Skipper Billy

I am taking delivery of a Q7 next week and will need a tow bar.

The two local Audi dealers want the best part of £2k to supply and fit.

Any real world experience of third party supply and fits ???

I have heard horror stories about recoding etc etc and don't want to create a problem !

Thanks in advance!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Audi themselves do not make the bar, it will usually be made by a reputable third party supplier anyway, often I believe it is a German company Westfalia who supply VAG cars but I could be wrong.

Go to a well established independent towbar outfit who supply a good brand such as Westfalia. You may even be able to get the OEM bar just under a different name.

Also, make sure you pay the extra for the dedicated wiring kit. Westfalia will probably make the dedicated plug in kit which will plug straight into the car and not require any electrics to be chopped and joined. Again this will possible be identical to OEM. Sometimes these even have the Audi part numbers on them.

If you use a proper Westfalia dealer, they will likely have access to a coding machine or be able to take it to the local Audi dealer on your behalf.

The end result should be the same as OEM just significantly cheaper  :)

Let me know how you get on.

• 2 weeks later...

No not yet - my main difficulty is being out on the West Coast of Scotland - the nearest large towns/cities are 3 hours away !!

But when I get back from holiday in 3 weeks time I will be on the case.  It sounds like the Westfalia option might well be the most cost effective.

No not yet - my main difficulty is being out on the West Coast of Scotland - the nearest large towns/cities are 3 hours away !!

But when I get back from holiday in 3 weeks time I will be on the case.  It sounds like the Westfalia option might well be the most cost effective.

Let us know how you get on. Away anywhere nice at the moment?

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2 years ago I had a detachable Witter towbar fitted.  The company had the software to link up with the on board computer.  The boot will also only open a certain amount when my trailer is on the car...to avoid accidents happening.  I think I was 700 in total, so should give you an idea of what to pay.  I've had no problems as of yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mat

if you don't get a recode anything electrical introduced into the system can throw up faults and also lighting system can be affected.

Always worth fitting it and seeing what does/doesn't work and then worry about just getting it coded into the CanBus system then.

Let us know how you get on with it

Cheers   Trevor

• 2 years later...

Please be advised that I had mine (2017 Q7) fitted by a 'reputable' mobile fitter at my office. However I didn't know he was remapping the ECU etc, with a laptop connected to the internet. If I had of known I would have run a network cable to his laptop from the office as our area is terrible for wifi internet signal and a dongle connection. Ended up that the signal was lost during uploading to the ECU and I had to get the vehicle towed on a high lift truck to Audi as he had blown the ECU. Ended up having to take them to Small Claims to recover the costs of total ECU replacement. Not a happy ending at the time, and Audi di a full check it was working. Also they did tell me that while they are more expensive when they cut the bumper they replace the hole with a purpose made new cover that clips on and off so you don't see anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Tow bars for you based in the north east were excellent, did the job in around an hour and even offered me the strut that came off the car. Plugged in their laptop to allow the car to understand it was towing a trailer. Total job cost £675. Great company