Oil consumption - 1.8 TFSi

Simon321

Hello, this is a first time post, I bought a 2010 A4 TFSi 1.8 last September with around 35k on the clock. It was fine and loved it to start with, however there was a weird noise which turned out to be the water pump failing when starting the ignition, I bought as Audi used approved so was replaced under warranty, they however noticed a small oil leak when changing the pump. A short while later the car starting using oil to the extent we had reached the refil point per the on board display, luckily the dealer had given us a litre of oil (coincidence or normal practice?). Prior to. Using the car I has seen there was an issue so asked the salesman if this car is likely to be affected, he told me it was a batch in the USA, unfortunately I had to buy the car quickly so didn't have much time to research in full so took his word. 

We then booked into our Audi dealer for the consumption test, our car couldn't go in straight away so started using oil again, but went in before the oil refil came on again. We then carried out the test, and wouldn't you know it, the oil gauge didn't seem to move, so passed the test. We have since done anothe 1.000 miles or so and the reading is displaying around half way.  I have spoken to Audi UK and they tell me it is within their tolerances, but they will organise another test at the dealer for me. I said it wasn't within my tolerances and why should a modern car need to have oil added regularly as I can only see the problem getting worse?

I also realised that I do not have a full Audi service history, when I saw it online Audi approved are advertised as having been serviced by the Audi network solely, I am now worried that if there is a warranty claim re the engine at some point they can point to the fact it hasn't got s full Audi service history, and if I come to resell again  don't have a full Audi service history, but think I have paid a premium to the dealer on the basis I did, as this is how it is advertised which can't be right?

Overall sadly I am not as happy as I hoped, I previously had a 55 plate 1.9TDi which I loved and only changed as she started getting on the point repairs were getting dearer, I expected trouble free happy motoring for a good while.

sorry first post is a rant but wondered if anyone has had same problem with oil consumption issues which aren't bad enough or where I stand re buying a vehicle advertised as having being serviced by Audi network but in fact an independent garage has also performed a service?

Many thanks

Simon

Hi Simon, sorry to hear you've been having issues. 

If the car is running long life service intervals and oil. then it is designed to burn a little. It's around 1 litre per thousand miles - does that sounds about right?

Also, you mentioned they found a small leak when working on it last time - did they rectify this?

Hi James, thanks for replying, to be honest I'm not sure how much it has used recently, I don't know how much oil it holds but assuming they refilled to max after the oil test I believe we have covered around 2,000 miles and the oil level per the display is showing half way. 

The salesman never explained or said the car was set for long service intervals, nor have Audi or the dealer mentioned this is a reason for using oil they have just said it's within tolerances. The usage before the test WA carried out the oil did go down very quickly but since does appear to be slower and more even. I'm not aware what they did when they found the oil leak, it was on the video link they sent whilst fitting the new water pump, I guess they tightened something?

Regards

Simon

Doesn't sound like it's using too much to me then Simon.

Might be worth checking with them regarding the leak though? Can also ask about the long service intervals while you are there.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7 March 2016 at 6:37 AM, Simon321 said:

Hello, this is a first time post, I bought a 2010 A4 TFSi 1.8 last September with around 35k on the clock. It was fine and loved it to start with, however there was a weird noise which turned out to be the water pump failing when starting the ignition, I bought as Audi used approved so was replaced under warranty, they however noticed a small oil leak when changing the pump. A short while later the car starting using oil to the extent we had reached the refil point per the on board display, luckily the dealer had given us a litre of oil (coincidence or normal practice?). Prior to. Using the car I has seen there was an issue so asked the salesman if this car is likely to be affected, he told me it was a batch in the USA, unfortunately I had to buy the car quickly so didn't have much time to research in full so took his word. 

We then booked into our Audi dealer for the consumption test, our car couldn't go in straight away so started using oil again, but went in before the oil refil came on again. We then carried out the test, and wouldn't you know it, the oil gauge didn't seem to move, so passed the test. We have since done anothe 1.000 miles or so and the reading is displaying around half way.  I have spoken to Audi UK and they tell me it is within their tolerances, but they will organise another test at the dealer for me. I said it wasn't within my tolerances and why should a modern car need to have oil added regularly as I can only see the problem getting worse?

I also realised that I do not have a full Audi service history, when I saw it online Audi approved are advertised as having been serviced by the Audi network solely, I am now worried that if there is a warranty claim re the engine at some point they can point to the fact it hasn't got s full Audi service history, and if I come to resell again  don't have a full Audi service history, but think I have paid a premium to the dealer on the basis I did, as this is how it is advertised which can't be right?

Overall sadly I am not as happy as I hoped, I previously had a 55 plate 1.9TDi which I loved and only changed as she started getting on the point repairs were getting dearer, I expected trouble free happy motoring for a good while.

sorry first post is a rant but wondered if anyone has had same problem with oil consumption issues which aren't bad enough or where I stand re buying a vehicle advertised as having being serviced by Audi network but in fact an independent garage has also performed a service?

Many thanks

Simon

Hi Simon

ive just recently purchased a A4 Avant 2L TFSI  2010.  I was a wear of the oil consumption issues as I had seen this on a watch dog programme last year.  I wanted to be sure that the Issue when purchasing my new car had been rectified. 

Luckily the one I now have did. The previous owner had always serviced it with Audi therefore when he went to Audi with this issue they changed the cod rods ring etc. As it was fully serviced with Audi it was done free of charge.

in your case I'm not sure where you stand as it doesn't have full Audi service history. 

Hope this info helps mate

scott 

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys,

I'm a bit late to this thread but my car is doing the same thing, I recently made a post about blue/black smoke that may be related. 

When Audi perform the oil consumption test do they essentially do an oil change? My oil change is due and Audi want £159 for it. I could just do it my self but I don't want to create an issue with Audi refusing to pay for the oil issue fix if I change the oil my self.

Cheers,

Jack.

• 3 years later...