SD card sat nav updates?

Boz1055

I have had a couple of calls from a "Stuart" form Audi UK Customer Services. He seems genuinely concerned and is taking an interest in this. He asked me to send him scans of the SD card wallet that came with the car. He is investigating how much of this emanates form Audi Germany, who the 3rd party is and what the deal on upgrades is. I have pointed out that, whoever it is, they seems to have the functionality to provide up to 5 upgrades per year via Audi Connect, so why should non-Audi Connect customers not be able to access the upgrade process via a different route. Watch this space. We need to identify how big an issue this is. are there other complaints on other forums?

• Like 1

Given up trying to obtain information regarding the update of the SD card in the A3Sat Nav. Very surprised by the inefficiency of Audi, on this discrepancy anyway. You need to be aware that the speed limits displayed on the Sat Nav may be incorrect. I suspect that there is only one update a year, my car was provided with already out of date speed limits, so I'm assuming that I have to wait until 2017 before next update, which I have to pay for. Pity really,as otherwise, nice car!

Your Audi contact seems more interested than mine! He really bounced it back to me, saying my problem, although he will ring me back in a week with update! Be interested to learn your outcome. If there is one, I'll have his number!!

Unfortunately, I have hit the proverbial brick-wall. The Audi UK Customer Services Manager (Stuart) was very communicative and as helpful as he could be, but could not influence the 3rd-party company they use (www.Here.com) to do anything in the short term. I/we have to wait until they release the next update. He did promise to alert our local Audi Service Centre to contact me when one is released, but given the service intervals are so long on modern cars, it could be 18 months before the car next sees the service centre.

Particularly given my car (collected on the 31st march) has "Navigation" in its title, Audi are letting themselves down here.

Only have a couple of years to wait before Audi contact me again to buy a new car !!!!!:yucky::yucky::yucky:

• Like 1

To be honest, it's the result I expected. Pity about the poor quality of the Sat Nav, I have little faith in the speed limits displayed, so when I go reasonable distance, my Tom Tom will be glued to my screen! But I must admit, I am surprised that a manufacturer with the reputation that Audi has, produce such a poor quality product as the Sat Nav. Oh well, live and learn! Will update if learn anymore, but don't hold your breath!

I don't use the in-car Sat Nav' any more, so haven't noticed the speed issue. However, on a relted matter, I have noticed that my TomTom reads my actual speed as lower than the speedometer. I never found that with my previous A5 Cab'. Have you noticed that? 

Apart from all that, still love the car.

Yes, exactly same, I have always assumed that the Sat Nav gives th correct reading. But always err on the lower reading when going through cameras!

• 2 weeks later...

Had another call from Audi rep re Sat Nav, with same message, I.e. "Bad luck, pay for update next time"! He still didn't know when update due for release, and still doesn't know how much will cost! Didn't even know procedure, thought I have touch screen model! Amazed at Audi, really couldn't care less attitude. Oh well, will pass on impression to friends and relatives!

• 1 year later...

Hi - Any news on this topic. I have Audi Connect and there is no update feature on there.

Also to answer Rob-H - Car speedometers always over-read by design. They work from a sensor on the gearbox and have to make allowance for tyre wear. Also they are prohibited from under reading by law so always err on the cautious side. It used to be up to 10% but I have noticed that more recent ones are better - generally within 5%.

I think considering you can get free regular updates for other satnavs, Audi is a complete rip off merchant. This is my first and probably last Audi. I also have a Skoda VRS and it's a better, smoother, faster car.

Perhaps, as was mentioned earlier we should be raising this with motoring magazines etc. You would think after the dodgy emissions scandal they would learn their lesson but it seems not. They need some pressure put on them.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Able211 said:

£241 for an SD card update!! Are Audi serious? 

Scandalous. It's a pity there is no alternative software that can overwrite the maps and run on the mmi and have cheaper or free updates.

It all depends on the system. Prices from ebay 

mmi 2g - update cost £20 ( 2 dvds )

Mmi3g low - around £30 (dvd)

Mmi3g high hdd - around £70 ( 1 cd firmware and 2 sd cards maps)

Mib and mib 2 - not sure as they are new systems from 2015 +

• Like 1

8 hours ago, niedzial1983 said:

It all depends on the system. Prices from ebay 

mmi 2g - update cost £20 ( 2 dvds )

Mmi3g low - around £30 (dvd)

Mmi3g high hdd - around £70 ( 1 cd firmware and 2 sd cards maps)

Mib and mib 2 - not sure as they are new systems from 2015 +

It would be good to find out if there is one on sdcard for a 2016 model.

How would I find out? Is there a part number I need or something?

58 minutes ago, Fatbloke said:

It's a 2016, S Line, 2.0 diesel, 150, quattro.

Mib systems require licence update from audi this is why it cost a lot more...

On old systems you could copy from sd to sd and it worked . On mib you cannot ...

Im sure someone will figure it out soon but for now audi is the only option 

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/11/2017 at 8:37 PM, niedzial1983 said:

Mib systems require licence update from audi this is why it cost a lot more...

On old systems you could copy from sd to sd and it worked . On mib you cannot ...

Im sure someone will figure it out soon but for now audi is the only option 

Hi @niedzial1983 i am brand new to this forum and have only just picked up my 2013 A3 Sportback yesterday.  It has the 2013 "Europa" SD card in it and was wondering from your previous post if you could help me with which MMI system i have.

Would it really be simple enough for me to buy a 2017 SD card from Fleabay for example, just plug it in and away i go?

If i am not mistaken, i think i read on another forum that each SD cars had a code attached to it (which can only be used once) which needs to be activated by Audi and then linked to your car, hence the extortionate prices?

please correct me if i'm wrong, but if it really is that simple, i'll be purchasing an SD card from the above mentioned auction site today!

On 10/11/2017 at 10:38 AM, shahin156 said:

Hi @niedzial1983 i am brand new to this forum and have only just picked up my 2013 A3 Sportback yesterday.  It has the 2013 "Europa" SD card in it and was wondering from your previous post if you could help me with which MMI system i have.

Would it really be simple enough for me to buy a 2017 SD card from Fleabay for example, just plug it in and away i go?

If i am not mistaken, i think i read on another forum that each SD cars had a code attached to it (which can only be used once) which needs to be activated by Audi and then linked to your car, hence the extortionate prices?

please correct me if i'm wrong, but if it really is that simple, i'll be purchasing an SD card from the above mentioned auction site today!

I belive you can buy from eBay . But audi activation is the key for it to work. You might want to call audi first and ask them how much is activation only as you wanna buy maps elswere 

• 1 month later...

I just bought a 66 plate A3 SE and paid dealer for sat nav activation. They didn't do it saying 2017 cards no longer available and 2018 card not yet released. I would happily buy a 2017 card (after checking that I can find a dealer to activate it) but I'm not certain exactly which card I require - there seem to be at least 3 for 2017 (8W0919866M8W0919866G8X0919884K) - how do I find out which is correct for my car?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2017 at 1:38 PM, Able211 said:

Well, I always take my TomTom when go on longer trip. I have more confidence in TomTom , but Audi sat nav gives good traffic info. 

I have SD based SatNav on a 64 plate A3. Gives the most bizzare routing sometimes. And its UI is appallingly slow. I just use my phone now with Google Maps or Waze. Free. Great routing, and they automatically route around traffic. Can also share my location/route if I wish with anyone. Google Maps does offline navigation too now. For mounting the phone I use this:

https://www.audiphoneholder.com/