A4 B8 2014 Black Edition 150PS Steering Issue

Hi All,

I have been running my A4 B8 Black Edition ex demo for 6 months or so, now a year old with 14K on the clock. I had recently noticed a notchy effect on the steering around the centred position.  The car went to Audi and the outcome was a software update for the steering performed under warranty. Somehow the steering position sensor had lost centre. The car seems far better now, but the 19" rotars are giving horrendous tram lining, and the car constantly wants to change direction.  I believe it is the Continentals, already well into the second set of fronts. Have filled with Nitrogen, but makes no real difference. Thinking of changing to Michellin next time.

Has anybody else suffered tram-lining and what other brands of tyres work well to reduce it?

Regards,

Mike

Definitely likely to be the tyres. You'd be surprised how much difference it can make. Lower profile sports orientated tyres often want to pull in the direction of the road surface it's just how they are unfortunately.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I also have a 2014, (63 plate), A4 Black Edition, when I first bought it, the tramlining was awful, snatchy, and sometimes scary!

I had Continental Sport Contact 3, changed the fronts for Eagle F1 Asymetric 2, and it's like I have a different car! I'll change the rears soon, but really, change the tyres, Contisport have a reputation for tramlining, would never buy them again, and they just get worse as they wear. 

• 5 weeks later...

Hi

I've just got an A4 S-line with 19"s on it and Continentals, I've noticed in the short time I've had it to do this.  I used to have a 2006 S-line with 18"s and had Avon ZZ5's and Hankook Evo Ventos 2 on them and they were good, quiet and were stable.